Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4071 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 1 of 3
22 June 2014 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
Please recommend good books about Western poetry: their structures, values, and place
among the many genres; if possible, specifically for foreigners. (I speak Chinese.)

I like the sort of Outline/"Story" in the age of Will Durant and John Macy, van Loon
and Wells, but I am not aware of any yet. More rigorous academic books which explain
poetry are welcome; those help people appreciate them per se are also fine.

One of the things which stop me from claiming fluency without feeling ashamed is that I
am not able to appreciate poetry in European languages (for now: English, German,
French and Latin). I really mean I "cannot", rather than "do not". I do not know
whether I will like them, but at the moment I do not get them, the thunderous applause
they receive. However, many people I admire and respect think poetry, in a certain
sense, is the highest form of art, higher than prose, exploits a language to the
fullest, which I agree in the case of Chinese. So I think I must have missed
something.

Thank you.

Edited by Paco on 22 June 2014 at 12:20am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 3
22 June 2014 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
There are many native speakers who don't care about poetry, don't understand it or don't like it. I'd not consider it a criterion of fluency at all. Also, even more people like or dislike poetry without knowing all the technical details.

If you're interested, it's best to pick a specific language to start with, as there's no such a general thing as "Western poetry". Either go for English or for what seems to make most sense to you when you read it. Also, afaiu the golden age of modern traditional poetry was the 18-19 century in most cultures, or early 20th cent. After that there has been much more experimenting, which is best to explore when you've gained some overall understanding already.
4 persons have voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4432 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 3 of 3
22 June 2014 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
I think your best bet is to find an individual poet who you get, and branch out from there. Read more of the
poet's work, read some critical literature on them, find out who their biggest influences were.

Bilingual anthologies generally start with a nice overview of the translated tradition for newcomers. The
"Penguin Book of - Verse/Poetry" is a realiable series of bilingual anthologies in English.

The Poem Itself, edited by Stanley Burnshaw is a wonderful book on modernist poetry in French,
German, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian. It presents poems in their original language, then provides a page
or so of English language analysis, including a literal translation.

It's not a book but the Open Yale University course on modern poetry is an
enjoyable and informative introduction to English language 20th century poetry. Their Milton course is also
good. Milton wrote in a rather pan European tradition (looking to Homer, Virgil, Ovid, Dante, Petrarch,
Spenser) so he might be just the sort of poet you want to study.

Edited by AlexTG on 22 June 2014 at 2:27am

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version