Germany
Joined 4634 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 17 of 23
24 June 2014 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I didn't pay much attention to the Economics class I took 25 years ago, but one thing I remember is an author (Peter somebody?) arguing that if there had been no Calvinism there would be no capitalism.

Close. It was Max Weber's Die protestantische Ethik und der Geist des Kapitalismus, one of the most influential books of the 20th century.

Other than that, the influence of Protestantism in general and Puritanism in particular on American society certainly isn't to be underestimated. As Jeffers correctly said, the whole concept of Manifest Destiny is based on Calvinist ideas of being chosen and destined to do God's will.

Edited by Josquin on 24 June 2014 at 1:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4699 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 18 of 23
24 June 2014 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
I didn't pay much attention to the Economics class I took 25 years ago, but one thing I
remember is an author (Peter somebody?) arguing that if there had been no Calvinism there would be no capitalism.

Close. It was Max Weber's Die
protestantische Ethik und der Geist des Kapitalismus
, one of the most influential books of the 20th century.

Other than that, the influence of Protestantism in general and Puritanism in particular on American society certainly
isn't to be underestimated. As Jeffers correctly said, the whole concept of Manifest Destiny is based on Calvinist ideas
of being chosen and destined to do God's will.

I don't want to derail this thread too far, but it wasn't Max Weber I read. Of course the author made use of Weber's
argument, but the author I read was writing in the 70s and 80s.

I was thinking further along the lines of the discussion. This "work ethic" approach, the demand that everything you
learn be "useful" is a further reason Americans are more likely to try to get a language to C1 or C2 before adding
another. If you work in an office and can speak 3-4 languages to B1, that might be useful. But if there is anyone else
in the office who can speak any of those languages to a C1 level, then they are the "go-to" person for that language, not
you. In a large enough office, the person with 3-4 B1 languages is likely to be outclassed on every single one of them,
and so never be called on to be the translator or contact for any of them. But if you can ensure that you know 1 other
language better than anyone else in the office, then you become the point of contact.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 19 of 23
24 June 2014 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
I've always thought that "Calvinism" was something distinct from mainstream
Protestantism, and definitely different than the more Evangelical Great Awakenings. But
when I tried to look up sources it seems that everyone has a different way of
categorizing them.

But I did find an interesting (and opinionated) article on multilingualism and the rise
of national languages in the US and Europe:
LR

From the article:

English nationalism has been around since at least the 16th century. Thomas More
found out what happens to those who insist on a more internationalist view, as did
others, but it was in the 19th century that states really began to insist on cultural
conformity from their own citizens and the citizens of those living in their colonies
and conquered territories.

After 1870, the Italians simply made up a language based on a Tuscan variety. The
French began demanding that all citizens speak the version of French spoken in Paris.
Down the memory hold went languages like Piedmontese, Occitan, Mozarabic, and others.

Since the time of Queen Isabella and the Reconquista, the rulers of unified Spain had
been shoving Castilian down the throats of all Spaniards, and everyone in their
colonies. They saw Castilian as a tool to hold the Empire together. Practically
speaking, it was a good theory.

Back when the United States was a free country, it was multilingual, and even a cursory
look at 19th-century America reveals just how pervasive was the reality of a
multilingual society:

Louisiana was largely a French-speaking state (General Beauregard, Union Officer and
later Confederate General, for example, didn’t speak English until he was 11 years
old); German was widely spoken, and until World War I, and the anti-German bigotry that
came with it, German-language private schools were common throughout the United States;
New Mexico did not have an English-speaking majority until the 20th century; the Amish
spoke the Pennsylvania German language; many Americans of the Maine and Vermont
borderlands were French-speakers only.

Edited by kanewai on 24 June 2014 at 10:21pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4309 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 23
25 June 2014 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
I have not studied 2 languages before. I wanted to at least reach a solid intermediate level in Spanish before I
tackle anymore study goals or obligations. Where I live I can actually use Spanish regularly and most other
languages would just be for personal pleasure except for Laotian because my in-laws are Lao-Americans. I've
studied around 5 decent Spanish resources to a good degree and am currently finishing up Cortina's Spanish in 20
Lessons and about to start Assimil's Spanish with Ease. Listening & understanding Spanish had been a major
weakness of mine because I had poor study habits but I have improved significantly over the last year & a half.

Now I am about to embark on Lao and am considering Assimil's French with Ease. I could use French for future
mission trips to Africa and plus Assimil seems to be have numerous languages I'd love to study but they are
available only for French speakers. So I am about to start studying Lao and "dabbling" with French. I'll see how it
goes.

Edited by BrianDeAlabama on 25 June 2014 at 4:12am

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6657 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 21 of 23
27 June 2014 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
OP:
Quote:
I'm curious as to everyone's opinion. Is it easier for you guys to slowly build up multiple languages at a time or to learn one, then move on to another, and then another. If the latter, at what level do you stop a language and move on to another?

Differs widely. When I was young, half a century ago, survival level in half a dozen of fairly related European languages seemed to be more than enough. Now, at 70+, I'm scared of Russia despite having passed University Russian 101, but am severely tempted to explore China which is quite beyond what I even get from my Lonely Planet guide book.

Edited by Lugubert on 27 June 2014 at 12:49pm

PianoFish
United Kingdom
Joined 3599 days ago

11 posts - 28 votes
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 22 of 23
07 July 2014 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
I learned French, Spanish, Italian and Japanese at various times in school and in one year I did all four at the same time. It was a nightmare, and not one I'm eager to repeat. Japanese had a bit of distance from the others but I especially strugged with separating Spanish and Italian. The problem was that my French and Spanish were maybe B1 at best, and that the course was mainly designed to get us an extra certificate to put on university applications rather than actually learn Italian. I passed because I could parrot the answers but I understood and absorbed very little, I've now started again more or less from scratch and am sticking to only Italian for a while to avoid confusion until it feels more secure.

Schools in the UK generally offer at least two languages, one of which is almost invariably French (Welsh is also compulsory in Wales and Irish in Northern Ireland, taught either as a first or second language). Language teaching in primary schools is a good idea but there are serious continuity issues. Mandarin is quite popular at primary level but very few secondary schools teach it, or they may split the year into two or three language groups and you end up in the German group in secondary although you did French in primary.

I think the main problem with language teaching in the UK is extremely low expectations. One study by James Milton at Swansea University* estimated that GCSE candidates in French will know about 850 words, which is a) not a great deal objectively and b) not much to show for 5 years of studying a language. A grade C or above in a language GCSE is supposed to be B1, realistically I would say it's more like A2 but it varies a bit between languages. Add in several different exam boards with their own requirements and frequent (every 2-3 years in the last decade) structural changes to the exams and nobody really has much of a clue what it means to have a GCSE or A-level in X language.

*https://www.llas.ac.uk/resources/paper/2715

Edited by PianoFish on 08 July 2014 at 12:56am

4 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4479 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 23 of 23
08 July 2014 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
In response to the OP, I wrote a blog post several months ago about this very topic that pretty much sums up my take on multiple languages: Juggling Multiple Languages

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version