Learning multiple languages

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
23 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4083 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 9 of 23
22 June 2014 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I agree about the levels totally. It's not that europeans settle for
low levels and don't go further. We want good levels (B1-C1, depends on the person and
language) but we just don't mind getting there later because of spreading ourselves
thinner.

Right, it is actually both in Europe: achieve at least B2/C1 in the language, but
simultaneously learn various to that level. The only exception in Europe, obviously,
are the UK, because of obvious reasons, (some in the UK do not even consider the UK to
be part of Europe) which I find to be a shame. But in general, I doubt that the
majority in Continental Europe are satisfied with learning only one foreign language to
a high level. It is like that metaphor, having one's biscuit and eating it too. If I
grew up in the high-level language parts of Europe, like Belgium, Nederland, Sweden,
etc., I would be unsatisfied with anything less than B2 in at least four languages.
A1 is simply too low in this respect.

Also even if the language education is not as solid as in these parts of Europe, the
parts of Europe with smaller countries and also border four or five other countries,
such as the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Austria, have very good reasons to learn the
languages of their neighbours--just driving the distance from Montréal to Toronto, one
can probably arrive from Praha to Bratislawa, Wien, or Ljubljana.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 22 June 2014 at 8:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4802 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 23
22 June 2014 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Well, the UK is very often an exception :-)

What you said is and isn't true at once in my opinion. It is a bit more true about htlalers but still. Lets have a look at the general population.

1.First of all, did you mean the beginning of the last article as "the language education in CR, Slovenia, Austria etc isn't that good but..."? Why wouldn't it be as good as in the others? If I were to judge the language education by the natives I've met, it is much better in these countries than in Italy or some others. Language eucation in most european countries is better than in the UK or US, since we have two obligatory foreign languages in most schools and it is very common for kids to start early compared to UK or US. And the adults feel the pressure to impove their language skills all the time.

2.People don't primarily learn languages of their neighbours, they learn the large languages, especially when their native one is internationally useless. So, if your neighbour is Germany or Austria, German is going to be a popular language. But it doesn't apply the same way about other neighbours. Too few europeans learn smaller languages (how large % of Germans learn Dutch or Swedish?). And too few europeans with native slavic language learn another slavic language despite having neigbour country where it is spoken. A czech and a pole are too likely to use bad English together.

3. Yes, much larger % of europeans learns 2 or more languages, especially as it is usually obligatory. But that doesn't mean a wider choice of languages is being offered and studied. A usual young slovak is much more likely to learn Spanish than Polish or Hungarian. The big three (En, Fr, De) can cover most travelling and business needs. +Spanish and Italian can widen your choices significantly since they are languages of one large country each and their natives like to use it with foreigners.

Edited by Cavesa on 22 June 2014 at 10:26pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3892 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 11 of 23
22 June 2014 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
If I grew up in the high-level language parts of Europe, like Belgium, Nederland, Sweden, etc., I would be unsatisfied with anything less than B2 in at least four languages. A1 is simply too low in this respect.

I don't doubt that but you'd be in a rather small minority, at least in Sweden. The only people I've ever known in Sweden who are at least B2 in four languages grew up in Sweden as immigrants, and several of them (since I know them) went to English-medium schools. This means that three out of their four B2+ languages came "free" (native language, national language, education language), and the fourth was their more or less mandatory grade 6 choice (usually German, French or Spanish). It can be difficult enough to find people who are B2+ in three languages, counting their native Swedish, despite a second foreign language being introduced early.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4083 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 12 of 23
22 June 2014 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Well, the UK is very often an exception :-)

What you said is and isn't true at once in my opinion. It is a bit more true about
htlalers but still. Lets have a look at the general population.

1.First of all, did you mean the beginning of the last article as "the language
education in CR, Slovenia, Austria etc isn't that good but..."? Why wouldn't it be as
good as in the others? If I were to judge the language education by the natives I've
met, it is much better in these countries than in Italy or some others. Language
eucation in most european countries is better than in the UK or US, since we have two
obligatory foreign languages in most schools and it is very common for kids to start
early compared to UK or US. And the adults feel the pressure to impove their language
skills all the time.

2.People don't primarily learn languages of their neighbours, they learn the large
languages, especially when their native one is internationally useless. So, if your
neighbour is Germany or Austria, German is going to be a popular language. But it
doesn't apply the same way about other neighbours. Too few europeans learn smaller
languages (how large % of Germans learn Dutch or Swedish?). And too few europeans with
native slavic language learn another slavic language despite having neigbour country
where it is spoken. A czech and a pole are too likely to use bad English together.

3. Yes, much larger % of europeans learns 2 or more languages, especially as it is
usually obligatory. But that doesn't mean a wider choice of languages is being offered
and studied. A usual young slovak is much more likely to learn Spanish than Polish or
Hungarian. The big three (En, Fr, De) can cover most travelling and business needs.
+Spanish and Italian can widen your choices significantly since they are languages of
one large country each and their natives like to use it with foreigners.

Sorry, I should have clarified, it probably is better than that of Italy and Spain, and
I would vouch from experience that it is probably 50 times better than that of both the
UK and USA combined, because the language education in mandatory education I find to be
piss-poor at best, and not rigourous at all as a dessert to go therewith. But there
must be something that Belgium, Netherlands, and Sweden, Denmark, etc. do that they
have their children learn so many languages and well compared to other parts of the
world. The only reason that I broke past into a ~C level in Spanish is definitely not
from classes. Also Spanish is not a big language in the Anglophone world except for the
USA, compared to French or German, but I perhaps should also reclarify, I would feel
much more confident in being able to learn a language to a high level in a primary and
secondary school in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Croatia, or Slovenia than the
UK, USA, Australia, or New Zealand. Travelling within Continental Europe is already a
dream in itself, and learning the languages for travel truly makes much sense. Probably
add languages during mandatory educationa nd then exposure after matriculation, then
the added advantage of travel helps to foster this phenomenon. It explains why Prague
feels like a better place to learn a number of languages in context than Manchester or
Newcastle.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4802 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 13 of 23
23 June 2014 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
The reason for their high levels of English is well known. No dubbing on tv. It's that simple. Czech, Italian, Spanish, Slovak, French etc. channels dub a lot. So, the people in the dubbing countries throw lots of money out of the window for coursebooks, cds and classes and so on and then immerse themselves back in their native languages until the next class.

About other languages? I think the myth of everyone in countries with more national languages knowing all of them is just that: a myth. I've met groups of French Swiss and Italian Swiss people who wouldn't speak with each other due to the language bareer and they were both in Berlin to learn German. I've met Belgians with no knowledge of the second language of their country. And I doubt the Skandinavians are in general that proficient at any other foreign language than English.

Primary and secondary schools don't teach to such high levels in general (at the end of highschool here, you are to be anywhere from B1 to C1 but many people only try to fake B1 at the final exam and the examinators close their eyes except for the most horrible cases). Many people learn as adults, having found out their skills from school are not enough for their careers. They go to courses, they take ineficient paths and so on but their skills after such courses are still different from skills most people acquire during their childhood/teenage education.
6 persons have voted this message useful

holly heels
Groupie
United States
Joined 3679 days ago

47 posts - 107 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 14 of 23
23 June 2014 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Bombarding myself with Mandarin radio daily until my ears bleed, I am sometimes tempted to learn an "easier" language just to take a break from it all.

It might even improve my skill level, which some native speakers say is "not bad" (bu cuo) or "very good" (hen hao).

I can see the benefits of learning 2 languages at once, especially if you eventually fail at one of them.

There really is not a vast population of native English speaking Americans learning a second language, even Spanish, so it would be impossible to survey them as to their motivations or competitiveness.

In America, even being able to say one sentence in Mandarin will get you introduced as "a person who speaks Chinese". I would imagine that in Europe many would just roll their eyes. So the standard of fluency is much lower.

Also, in America, it seems that there is a kind of social stigma attached to American public figures who are fluent in any other foreign language except French. An American political leader who addressed a crowd in fluent Turkish or Arabic would viewed my many with suspicion, but many Europeans would see it as chic and sophisticated.

Probably most aspiring polyglots want to be strong in as many languages as possible, and whether successful polyglots learned their languages one by one or all at the same time was probably more a result of the circumstances they found themselves in (birth country, etc.) rather than any conscious choices that they made.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4682 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 15 of 23
23 June 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
1.north america, and especially the usa, is a much more competitive
culture from what i've observed from various americans and europeans and their views.
One of my history teachers explained the difference by the fact that the north american
continent was colonized mostly by protenstants, especially calvinists, whose
religion required them to work hard and the success, while there were few ways to enjoy
its fruits without becoming a sinner, was.a sign of god's love and approval..

I need to have sit down with your professor! Calvinist power in N America peaked in
the 1600's (King Philip's War, the Salem witch trials, and other horrible stuff). They
were never a majority outside of a few New England colonies, and the secular character
of the Revolutionary generation was in part a reaction against the Puritans.

But I agree that Americans tend to be more competitive, for whatever reason.

Usually, americans tend to go for high level in one before moving on while europeans
tend to prefer more at once ;-)

That's been my pattern, though I'm trying to break free from it. The challenge we have
is that it's hard to get reinforcement in our languages. I've found that extensive
reading helps, but it takes a lot of effort to reach that point. I get envious of
Europeans who can get regular immersion in their target languages!   

And the dark side is that they need to be highly proficient in order to be better
then their partner is at English

That's been a real challenge for native Anglophones in Europe. It was a major
personal milestone when my French reached a level where it was easier for people to
speak to me in French than English.

y experiences outside of Western Europe have been the opposite, though. As soon as I
learned minimal levels of Turkish, Arabic, or Japanese people were ready to switch
completely away from English - even when, like in Japan, I probably knew less than 100
words. And in countries like Mexico and Guatemala the attitude outside the tourist
centers is: You're in Mexico (or Guatemala). You should be speaking Spanish.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 16 of 23
24 June 2014 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
1.north america, and especially the usa, is a much more competitive
culture from what i've observed from various americans and europeans and their views.
One of my history teachers explained the difference by the fact that the north american
continent was colonized mostly by protenstants, especially calvinists, whose
religion required them to work hard and the success, while there were few ways to enjoy
its fruits without becoming a sinner, was.a sign of god's love and approval..

I need to have sit down with your professor! Calvinist power in N America peaked in
the 1600's (King Philip's War, the Salem witch trials, and other horrible stuff). They
were never a majority outside of a few New England colonies, and the secular character
of the Revolutionary generation was in part a reaction against the Puritans.

You do need to have a sit down with Cavesa's professor; you might learn something. ;)

Of course Calvinist power in N America centred on New England, but it peaked in the 1700s, culminating in the Great Awakening. However, the influence of Calvinism is not simply on those who were called Calinists. Cavesa's professor is clearly speaking about what is commonly called the "Protestant work ethic", but he probably avoided the phrase because it can be controversial. I didn't pay much attention to the Economics class I took 25 years ago, but one thing I remember is an author (Peter somebody?) arguing that if there had been no Calvinism there would be no capitalism.

EDIT to add: The frontier spirit, manifest destiny, etc, are all children of the Calvinist spirit. To bring it back to the point of the thread, the frontier spirit is also one of the reasons Americans don't learn foreign languages. On the frontier, as in the new colonies, you don't have time for luxuries, everything must be directed to survival and success. When I tell friends and family in the USA I'm learning a language, they always want to know why. What's the use? Will it make me money, improve my job?

Edited by Jeffers on 24 June 2014 at 9:14am

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version