Pentaglot
England
Joined 4975 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 1 of 24
25 June 2014 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
It's possible to create private Memrise courses isn't it? It might be too much work, but if the original site allowed you to download the content in a tabular format (or even screen-scrape it to Excel), and Memrise allows batch course creation by the upload of tabular data, then in theory you could recreate the private course just for you. Still, 1000 sentences... I'm not sure I'd want that job.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5569 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 2 of 24
25 June 2014 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
chokofingrz wrote:
It's possible to create private Memrise courses isn't it? It might
be too much work, but if the original site allowed you to download the content in a
tabular format (or even screen-scrape it to Excel), and Memrise allows batch course
creation by the upload of tabular data, then in theory you could recreate the private
course just for you. Still, 1000 sentences... I'm not sure I'd want that job.

They don't *allow* you to do that, but it turns out you *can* and it's actually not
technical or complicated (just copy and paste) or much work at all (if you copy and
paste they are perfectly formatted to add to memrise as a batch). Takes about 20
minutes to recreate the whole course (about 4k sentences over 5 levels). Given that
memrise probably removed the course in the first place because of a complaint by the
copyright holders, we can't possibly recommend on this site that anyone actually do
that, though.

Anyway, good suggestion, mate.

Edited by Random review on 25 June 2014 at 4:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 24
25 June 2014 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
I think Memrise is totally missing a large opportunity. I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for paid courses which would be large, high quality and perhaps related to a learning material (therefore based on wordlists provided by the publishers, not hunted by them). Imagine not having to create your own advanced 5000+ deck, that is a dream. Imagine being able to use a ready made "Vocabulary introduced in ... course" deck right away. (Yeah, I'm now creating a large Spanish deck so that I don't need to put another book into my heavy pack. I wish there would be a ready made one instead.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5569 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 4 of 24
25 June 2014 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I think Memrise is totally missing a large opportunity. I would be
willing to pay a reasonable price for paid courses which would be large, high quality
and perhaps related to a learning material (therefore based on wordlists provided by
the publishers, not hunted by them). Imagine not having to create your own advanced
5000+ deck, that is a dream. Imagine being able to use a ready made "Vocabulary
introduced in ... course" deck right away. (Yeah, I'm now creating a large Spanish deck
so that I don't need to put another book into my heavy pack. I wish there would be a
ready made one instead.)

Absolutely. I especially think vocab books where each word comes with a sentence (like
the "Mastering Spanish/German/French Vocabulary: a thematic approach" series) and
courses consisting of parallel dialogues or texts (like Assimil) work amazingly well
with memrise.

Cavesa, I remember you slating memrise after it came out of Beta, saying that the Beta
version was so much better, why was that? I agree that the android app is next to
useless (why on earth did they take away the typing tests that are the most powerful
tool?!!!), but I find the website an amazing resource; what did the Beta veraion have
that the current one doesn't?

Edited by Random review on 25 June 2014 at 7:00pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 24
25 June 2014 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
One word, summing up most troubles of the new Memrise: Levels.

1. There used to be more options for the user, such as how many words to learn at once (you could add five at once or you could go through a larger part of the deck). The option to choose more words wasn't that user friendly but it was there.

2.each word was autonomous, no stupid "levels" in the courses. each word was a separate flower growing on its own=you were progressing based on which words you knew and which you didn't. nowadays, you need to master the whole level before going on. It is an annoying system whenever four out of five words are easy while the last one just won't stick.

3.better design. less fancy but much more functional. with all those huge pictures (which are there just to look nice), it takes forever to scroll through courses etc. The new Memrise is made to look fancy and easy and user friendly (with colors clearly chosen to remind people of facebook) but it is not well thought out.

4.removal of the leaderboards. nowadays, you need to add people as "friends" to compete with them. I loved that feature, it was very motivating for me to get to the first 1000 and stay there. Again, obviously an inspiration taken from the social networks like facebook. To fully use a feature, you are meant to advertise the company to your friends.

5. basically, they did the exact opposite of what their beta users had asked for. we asked for even more freedom to learn how fast we wanted and to get as large or small chunks as we wanted. We got more hand-holding instead.

6. It is harder to make courses due to the stupid levels system. It is even harder when it comes to courses you have started creating before the change. I had made a course with a few hundred words. I came to the new version and found out it was sorted into some stupid levels and I couldn't simply drag words in between those. I was the course creator, I was sharing something I put hours of work into so that both me and others could use it. And I wasn't given a choice whether to use the stupid levels or at least how large would the levels be. There is no choice to make the levels make sense (such as five related words in one level, seven in the next etc.), they are fix. I've heard you can choose the level size when you create a new course now. But my courses were just damaged and I refuse to put time into something someone else can so easily and stupidly damage.

7. The levels have no positive effect on learning. Instead of learning by chunks you consider appropriate, you have to learn by chunks considered appropriate by the creator of the course. The only reason the levels were created was the idea that it would make moneization of the courses easier. Classical model of a few levels for free and paid ones after that. I'd actually prefer to pay a monthly fee for the beta memrise (even though I hate monthly fees).

8.The old design of the flowers was perfect. It was an easy and functional gamification, a nice way to represent the progress, appealing both to the kids and adults (tried on my little sister). Nowadays, the design is gone. The flowers-levels just don't work the same way. And the flower design is ugly (but this last point is highly subjective, I admit)

Bobb328
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4371 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 6 of 24
28 June 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
I loved this course. Is there any way you could send me the Anki deck?

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5569 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 7 of 24
29 June 2014 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Bobb328 wrote:
I loved this course. Is there any way you could send me the Anki deck?

I thought about making the deck public, but it imported as about 5 gazillion separate
levels. Thanks to chokofingrz there is a better solution for you anyway. I'll PM you.

delpino
Diglot
United Kingdom
antosch-and-lin.com/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5564 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 8 of 24
30 June 2014 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Hello, my name is Oliver Antosch and I run http://www.german-flashcards.com/ and have created those sentences in the last 7 years.

This was a lot of work and seeing them on a rival site with no penny being paid for it and not even mentioned there was a bit, well unpleasant. Problem is that people might come to my
website and think that I ripped off the content. It will also be a problem with Google who punishes duplicate content.

So guys please don't trade pirated content and don't cover it up. I'm actually struggling to continue adding content because not enough people are willing to support the site financially, and
something like this is just a slap in the face and doesn't help.

I would also appreciate some feedback (from the original poster) what is not clear with the learning system and
what features are missing compared to Anki/memrise. Thanks!

Edited by delpino on 30 June 2014 at 12:21am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version