Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4621 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 25 of 28
02 July 2014 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
One thing I haven't seen mentioned (I don't think) is that one-to-one tutoring /
conversation practice with a native speaker can be fairly exhausting for the learner
(and for the tutor too, no doubt).

Unlike in a class (or if you are working alone) there are no opportunities to sit back
and let someone else take the strain.

My experience here is mainly 2-3 years of weekly conversations mostly 1-to-1 (for a
short period there were 2 or 3 of us) with Latin American Spanish speakers, although
I've also been a member of very small classes and sometimes been the only one to turn
up, because of sickness or what-have-you. Of course, it's good for you in the long run,
but one can feel rather pressured sometimes - no place to run - no place to hide. :-)

Having said that, if I could find a first-language Welsh speaker to act as conversation
partner, I'd probably go for it, but I think they are a little thin on the ground where
I live.

2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 26 of 28
02 July 2014 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
rdearman wrote:
So for me, I'm not going to bother with tutoring in the future. But I still think it is good for some people who have
the inclination and the money for it.

I know that tutoring or working with an external resource is not for everybody, but let me look at a few situations
where, in my opinion, you would be crazy to not consult with such a person:

1. If you plan on passing a CFER exam, especially at the higher levels such as B and C, you should avail yourself
of the services of a tutor who is familiar with the exams. Considering the time and money involved in preparing
for these exams, it is, in my mind, the height of folly to not spend a bit more and use a professional tutor.

2. You have a job interview that requires a speaking in the target language. Why not practice with a tutor?

3. You have prepared your CV and a cover letter in the target language for a job application. Before sending them
in, shouldn't you have a native speaker look at them and suggest any corrections?

The alternative of course is to go it alone. I don't need a tutor, you say. Be my guest, and good luck.

Points 2 & 3 only require a native speaker, not a tutor, and I don't know what a CFER exam is, so I seriously doubt if I'll ever be taking one.

:)

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 27 of 28
02 July 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Those who took the time to carefully read what I wrote will have noticed that I said: "I know that tutoring or working
with an external resource is not for everybody." I would think that consulting with a native speaker constitutes
using an external resource.

Although any native speaker is probably better than nothing, there is something to be said for wisely choosing said
native speaker with regard to the task at hand. I don't think that just any native speaker is qualified to give good
advice about CVs and cover letters. Ditto for job interviews. I suggest going with professionals, i.e. tutors.

Edited by s_allard on 03 July 2014 at 12:33am

3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 28 of 28
02 July 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned (I don't think) is that one-to-one tutoring /
conversation practice with a native speaker can be fairly exhausting for the learner
(and for the tutor too, no doubt).

Unlike in a class (or if you are working alone) there are no opportunities to sit back
and let someone else take the strain.

My experience here is mainly 2-3 years of weekly conversations mostly 1-to-1 (for a
short period there were 2 or 3 of us) with Latin American Spanish speakers, although
I've also been a member of very small classes and sometimes been the only one to turn
up, because of sickness or what-have-you. Of course, it's good for you in the long run,
but one can feel rather pressured sometimes - no place to run - no place to hide. :-)

Having said that, if I could find a first-language Welsh speaker to act as conversation
partner, I'd probably go for it, but I think they are a little thin on the ground where
I live.

For those of us who believe in the value of tutors or conversation partners, this is a good point. Just how should
one work with these resources? It could be just plain talking about anything that comes up. If you find a good
conversationalist, this can be very interesting and fun. The danger here is getting so involved in the conversation
that we lose sight of the linguistic goals.

Another type of tutoring uses a more structured approach where we work on specific themes such as
grammatical structures, essays written by the student or discussions based on a text. This requires a lot more
work on the part of the tutor than just chatting and should be rewarded accordingly.

Edited by s_allard on 03 July 2014 at 12:35am

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version