Joined 4237 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 9 of 20
27 June 2014 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Irish_Goon wrote:
Shk00, so you are saying learn phonetically with some characters thrown in? You
hit on precisely what I was curious about.

I was watching a Chinese singing show from Beijing that featured 好弟 (Hǎodì) the singer from Nigeria.
In the show he talked about the first year he was singing in a restaurant in English and almost left the
country because he couldn't get an audience. And then he returned from Africa and seriously started
learning to sing in Chinese. Luckily he found a voice coach who also speaks English and had all the
lyrics written down phonetically. The speaking part came hand in hand with the singing. In the show he
mentioned that a few years ago he started dating a Chinese, got her number and they exchanged text
phonetically with Pinyin. On stage Hǎodì speaks Chinese with enough fluency that he is often
acknowledged as a native speaker.

His older brother 郝哥 (Hǎogē) is also a singer in China. They both learned to sing dozens of songs
phonetically. Like a lot of Chinese-Americans who speak fluent Mandarin you'll be surprised how many
can write the characters besides their given names. Every Chinese phrase book you come across would
have the phonetics written beside the characters.

In Japanese, you can represent the Chinese characters (Kanji) phonetically. When you're singing a song
in Japanese with a Karaoke, you notice the Japanese alphabetic characters on the screen and you will
find Japanese alphabetic characters over the Kanji in fine print.

Edited by shk00design on 27 June 2014 at 4:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4431 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 10 of 20
27 June 2014 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Irish_Goon wrote:
I am so used to reading being a huge part of my vocabulary acquisition that it would
seem weird to learn the sounds and "romanize" them and then learn the script.

I took the approach of learning the meaning of around 1700 kanji(Chinese characters) before learning
Japanese. Now I am attempting to learn vocabulary solely through reading. It's working well so far, but I'm not
at an advanced level yet. The prevalence of SRS programs among Japanese learners does make me worry
that maybe I'll hit a dead end.

When I read a German word I see how it sounds and from that try to remember what it means. When I read a
Japanese word with a single kanji I see what it means and from that try to remember how it sounds.

German: 'das Auto' → car
Japanese: '車(car)' → kuruma

When I read a Japanese word with multiple kanji I see a comination of meanings which aid me in
remembering the meaning of the word as a whole. This can be similar to remembering German compound
words.

German: 'Mittagessen(midday eating)' → lunch
Japanese: '昼飯(midday meal)' → lunch

However most compound words aren't particularly transparent.

勉強(exertion strong) → study

Often one of the kanji will have no relation to the meaning at all.

友達(friend accomplished) → friend

I still find this easier than going from pure sound to meaning like in European languages.

The difficult thing for me is remembering how the words are said. As someone who likes to
focus on passive learning it's basically forcing me to activate vocabulary from the start.

Edited by AlexTG on 28 June 2014 at 12:57am

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4237 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 11 of 20
27 June 2014 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
There are scripts that are alphabetic. The symbols correspond to what a word would sound like Arabic , Hindi
or Thai. And then there is Chinese with thousands of ideograms. Each does not suggest how it would be
pronounced except you are going by other characters that look similar. When you enter Chinese characters
on computer you can use a graphic pad and scribble a character as close as you can or type in each char.
phonetically like most people do.

Personally reading a sentence: "wo shi meiguoren" instead of 我是美国人 isn't a big deal since this is the way
I enter my text messages or type my Emails.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4101 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 12 of 20
27 June 2014 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone studied an exotic language after learning two or more languages primarily
through shadowing or similar?

Irish_Goon
United States
Joined 6208 days ago

117 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 20
27 June 2014 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
Has anyone studied an exotic language after learning two or more languages primarily
through shadowing or similar?

That's an interesting question.

L1539
Diglot
United States
Joined 5151 days ago

27 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 14 of 20
28 June 2014 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
holly heels wrote:
My vocabulary is probably about 5,000 words. Now all that's really great, but it's meaningless if you can't understand what you're hearing.

I think listening comprehension is usually the last thing that people get good at when learning a language. Even if you can't understand what you're hearing, if you can read and write the words, then it's not meaningless. And you have to build up this vocabulary first to eventually understand what you're hearing, so even if you're only interest is speaking, it still isn't meaningless.

Edited by L1539 on 28 June 2014 at 1:35am

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4047 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 15 of 20
28 June 2014 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
I started Cantonese doing audio only the same as I did with French, using Pimsleur, FSI and DLI and mostly ignoring the writing system. After a while it felt like I wasn't making any progress, mainly because tones made my listening comprehension difficult.

Not sure if I would've eventually gotten the hang of tones eventually, but I decided to focus on Chinese characters. I learned primarily through Anki (with a little bit of text book studies to learn how radicals function) and my Anki deck had a lot of redundancies built into it, so I'd study some single characters, then some compound words and sentences using characters I knew before moving onto new characters. One of my decks had all the vocab and sentences from FSI, and after learning them through writing I was able to breeze through the FSI audio course. I'll reach 1500 characters in several months, at which point I plan on incorporating movies with Cantonese subtitles into my study in addition to continuing learning new characters through Anki.

I've also recently started Japanese doing audio only with Pimsleur and Assimil (I don't want to learn to read Japanese til I reach basic proficiency in Cantonese) and so far its been much easier than doing Cantonese or Hungarian audio.

Irish_Goon
United States
Joined 6208 days ago

117 posts - 170 votes 

Message 16 of 20
30 June 2014 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
I love Assimil but I am not quite sure that those books can be utilized as effectively in a language like Mandarin compared with something like German.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version