Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

From people that used to not be able to..

Tags: Pronunciation
 Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 8
25 June 2014 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
roll their R (Alveolar R, like in Italian or Spanish): How did you learn how to do it? Where there certain exercises?

I can do the flipped/single R and I can do uvular trills like a madman, but I have never been able to do the trilled R, even after trying for years (on and off). What did you guys do?
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5056 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 8
26 June 2014 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
If you ever imitated a machine gun sound as a kid, you can roll an r. Try saying tah-tah-tah 20 or 30 times then try to roll your r- worked for me, ymmv. There's always youtube r rolling video tutorials if all esle fails.
3 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 3 of 8
27 June 2014 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
I can do the machine gun sound with the uvular roll (kind of like the sound of Chewbacca from Star Wars). I've watched a bunch of those videos before, but I did just watch for the first time the one with the guy showing how to do it in singing; that one was probably the most helpful so far. I can kind of do it, but it's more of an alveolar roll that's induced by a uvular roll (both at the same time, kind of sounds like a cat's purr) It still doesn't sound right to me though; like there's not enough "click" to it.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3893 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 4 of 8
28 June 2014 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
Not to steal the thread, but I'm another one of those people who've never been able to master the alveolar trill and I've always wondered where the heck the sound is produced, anatomically. Kind and helpful people always tell me where to put my tongue or things to do to get my tongue in the right position, but the only way I know how to produce an R-sound is from deep within the throat, and I can roll that R (sounds like a snarling dog) just fine starting with the tongue at the alveolar ridge. I'd like to stop doing that, but since no one is able to tell me what I should be doing instead it's been rather fruitless. I feel as though figuring out what one is doing wrong, might be a good place to start?

When I impersonate the most annoying Stockholm accent my fake alveolar Rs come from the back of the mouth, (it's kind of close to producing the SH in the word "short"), but I can't roll that sound, so I'm guessing that's an approximation rather than where the sound is actually produced?

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4445 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 5 of 8
28 June 2014 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Eydimork, what you have is the French (aka uvular) R. I never mastered the regular (aka alveolar) R either. I had speech therapy as a kid and no one ever corrected this, I guess the Polish specialties like cz rz sz ś were more important :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 8
29 June 2014 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
The Spanish and Italian r is a piece of cake, but it took me forever to learn the French r.

I am having a lot of fun reading how to pronounce the Spanish one though :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 29 June 2014 at 12:03am

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3893 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 7 of 8
29 June 2014 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Eydimork, what you have is the French (aka uvular) R. I never mastered the regular (aka alveolar) R either.

I know. Otherwise I wouldn't be trying to learn how to say an alveolar R, which, by the way, isn't a "regular" R any more than my (and your) guttural R. :P

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 8
29 June 2014 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Your r is produced in the same place as a d. (tongue against your alveolar ridge). What
you have to do is tap the ridge instead of completely blocking airflow (d is a stop).

I could produce the French r just fine because my native dialect has that but I had to
learn the rolled r at age 22 when I was studying Russian, and because it's also taught to
Dutch children, here's what I did:

I took the word "krentenbrood", and started pronouncing d's instead of r's. After careful
practice I could transform my d's into r's and I was there. To trill, you don't tap once,
but a lot of times in succession.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version