PianoFish
United Kingdom
Joined 3569 days ago

11 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 2
26 June 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone! My native language is English, in school I studied French, Spanish, Italian and Japanese but they have all fallen into disrepair and I'm hoping to build them back up, plus add a few more. My Spanish is the best of the bunch as I studied it to A-level, my receptive skills are still fairly sharp but my productive skills are virtually non-existent. I did GCSE Japanese and I've dabbled in Mandarin but I can't do much with either. I'm not really bothered about re-learning French, it was compulsory up to GCSE and then I did AS level mostly out of habit.

I'm currently actively working on Italian, which I'm drawn to by my love of classical music. I'm an aspiring polyglot but have been guilty in the past of trying to learn too many at once (see above) and so I've ended up not getting very far with any of them. I'm determined to now stick with only Italian until I'm at around B2 before I add another.

As well as spoken languages I also want to improve my BSL (British Sign Language). I passed level 1 a couple of years ago and I want to take the level 2 course after I finish my degree next summer. Like my other languages this needs brushing up but I've found a few good online and DVD resources so I can revise before I start studying actively again. If I work hard enough on Italian over the next year then this shouldn't break my above rule. :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 2
27 June 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
PianoFish wrote:
...I'm currently actively working on Italian, which I'm drawn to by my love of classical music. I'm an aspiring polyglot but have been guilty in the past of trying to learn too many at once (see above) and so I've ended up not getting very far with any of them. I'm determined to now stick with only Italian until I'm at around B2 before I add another.

Welcome to the forum, PianoFish. Hope you can stick with your plan. It will serve you well. Good luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version