Yvadd
United States
Joined 3607 days ago

2 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 9
26 June 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
I've been learning Spanish for about a month and a half now, and I'm making as much
progress as I expected. I had a good exposure to the language when I was a toddler so
much of the vocabulary and grammar comes more naturally to me than other languages I've
looked at before, but even with that I'm afraid I might lose what I've learned.

I am leaving for Army training on July 16th. I will be gone for eight months. During the
first three months I will not be able to study at all. Is there anything I could possibly
do to retain what I've learned? I will have a notebook but I cannot bring a dictionary
and I will not have any way to use a computer or any reference for words. I might be able
to write when I have free time, but I will have no way of knowing if it will be correct.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 9
26 June 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
You can talk to yourself in Spanish. I suspect that some of the other recruits will speak Spanish. Certainly when I was in boot camp about 25% of my squadron spoke Spanish. So talk to them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5169 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 9
27 June 2014 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Get the Soldier's Creed, General Orders, core values, etc. in Spanish and memorize them in Spanish before you go. Then just keep repeating them in your head when you are there.
6 persons have voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4983 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 4 of 9
27 June 2014 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
Take an mp3 player and download a buttload of podcasts and Spanish music before you go (or even a Michel Thomas-style course). This does require a bit of time, research and planning, but what were you expecting - shortcuts to success? (I don't currently keep up with Spanish websites but I'll bet there are many free podcasts on the web at whatever level suits you.)

Yvadd
United States
Joined 3607 days ago

2 posts - 4 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 9
27 June 2014 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Thank you for your helpful responses!
1 person has voted this message useful

tomgosse
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3786 days ago

90 posts - 143 votes 

Message 6 of 9
27 June 2014 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Yvadd wrote:
I will have a notebook but I cannot bring a dictionary
and I will not have any way to use a computer or any reference for words. I might be
able to write when I have free time, but I will have no way of knowing if it will be
correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You could tell the powers that be that Spanish is your first language and you need the
dictionary to help you "learn" English. :) If you can't bring it with you when you
first enter boot camp, you can have a family member or friend mail you one.    Buena
Suerte!

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 7 of 9
27 June 2014 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
I don't know what the Army Bootcamp is like (I was in the Air Force) but they didn't allow us to have anything that wasn't issued by Uncle Sam. And trust me you aren't going to have time to be looking at books and studying.

Just try to find a Spanish speaker and talk to them.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3801 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 8 of 9
27 June 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I agree with trying to find Spanish speakers and talk with them and listen to their conversations. Before
leaving, try to learn the names of everything in your dorm, the cafeteria/food, learn verb conjugations for the
daily activities in boot camp (ie running, climbing, jumping, marching, showering, etc). You indicated you
would be able to have a notebook. I am not clear if it is a paper notebook or notebook computer. If it is a
paper notebook, I would prepare ahead of time vocabulary lists L1 and L2 that you could study, and perhaps
copy a couple of your lessons into your notebook.   If it is a computer notebook, I would download podcast
mp3s ahead of time. I've read good things about Notes in Spanish from those learning Spanish.   I think your
days are going to be so filled you will not have time for much else, but if you learn vocabulary about daily life,
you can use self-talk practice as you are doing these activities, and perhaps be able to have simple dialogues
with other Spanish speakers about daily life.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version