mike789
United States
Joined 6109 days ago

39 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 2
27 June 2014 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
I've just started with Assimil French and the directions seem to imply that I should be comfortably listening to it, looking at the English and french text, until I can hear the french and understand it. The whole "with ease" approach...

So here is my question. I get to the exercises and one of them is translate. Fine. But the others generally are asking for things like the correct article or to fill in the blank missing words and they indicate the number of letters each word should take.
  • should I be trying to memorize the articles?
  • should I be memorizing the spelling of the words?
Or are these exercises meant for the active phase? The instructions don't really talk about this, so I thought I'd ask how other people are doing this.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 2
28 June 2014 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
First wave is primarily about understanding the content, but if you happen to (or delibaretly make an effort to) remember articles, spelling etc. you'll have an easier time during second wave (when you should be able to translate the whole thing back to French).

Some postpone the exercises until the second wave, some write down everything, some don't follow the instructions at all.
3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version