soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3694 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 4
29 June 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
I started using Assimil Italian and am enjoying it but it seems to be riddled with errors so far (I already know a little Italian so I was able to pick up on them). I remember one being in one of the English explanations (a spelling error), one was in one of the dialogues and I just found another, which I thought was funny: For the fourth lesson, it says:

QUARTA LEZIONE (oondeetshee)

Where it should be giving the pronunciation of "quarta" it randomly gives the pronunciation for "undici" (11).

These aren't a big deal to me, but I'm worried that there might be errors in future dialogues that I don't pick up on and I'll end up learning something wrong.

For anyone that has used this, are the errors negligible or does it get worse?

1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6166 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
30 June 2014 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
I didn't notice any abundance of errors. Compared to another Assimil course that I have completed, Chinese, it had a lot fewer, and the errors were less substantive.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7008 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
30 June 2014 at 7:30am | IP Logged 

Is it okay if you are able to place the information in the Criticised Assimil programs
thread?

I made the thread, so anyone interested in purchasing an Assimil program that have
errors will be aware what they are getting into to make an informed decision, and make
corrections accordingly.

I am curious about the Chinese with Ease as I bought the book and cds for an
affordable price for less, than $30 each. The course was not reviewed in the thread.

The Italian program was reviewed with translation errors, but the edition was listed
as the latest by the reviewer. The Italian review is on page three.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6166 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 4
30 June 2014 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
alang,

I reviwed Chinese With Ease in my log. To summarize, it's good and worth doing (if you like Assimil) but there are some quality control issues.

I'll add my review to the Assimil thread.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version