Triglot
Switzerland
Joined 3586 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: French*, English, German

Message 1 of 9
02 July 2014 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Hi Everyone,

I am developing an open platform to share and translate language resources. It is called Polyglottis:

http://polyglottis.org/

Here is a screenshot:

If you want to get involved or just have some comments, please let me know!
Cheers,
Olivier

Edited by polyglottis on 03 July 2014 at 12:58pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 9
02 July 2014 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Interesting! It looks sort of like a wiki for parallel texts at the moment.

However, just a suggestion, in my role as moderator: We discourage "drive-by link dropping", where people show up, post one message advertising their product or site, and then promptly disappear. In this case, you project looks interesting, and it's supported by a Swiss non-profit, so I've decided to leave it up. But if you are interested in feedback from the HTLAL community, I encourage you to stay around and participate in the discussion.

I also have a question: Have you considered adding audio recordings to your site? This would make it possible to read and listen to a conversation at the same time, which many people find useful.

Edited by emk on 02 July 2014 at 3:49pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

polyglottis
Triglot
Switzerland
Joined 3586 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes

Message 3 of 9
02 July 2014 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Dear emk,

Indeed, I have read the warning concerning posting in this room, but I thought the content would be appropriate for this forum.

The project is indeed a wiki for parallel texts, notes and transcriptions. And yes, adding audio is definitely a feature we need. We are going to add it to the prototype shortly.

If you have other suggestions, fire at will :)
1 person has voted this message useful

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4107 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 4 of 9
02 July 2014 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Great idea, I like it!

My suggestion is to take into account regional differences in spelling, vocabulary and audio recordings within the same language. One example can be found in the screenshot, where the word "heisst" is written using the Swiss spelling. I can imagine a Swiss person traslating the first sentence as "Wie heisst du?" and another user, from Germany or Austria, translating the third sentence as "Ich heiße Gieri".

It will be very useful in languages with many variations, like Spanish, or in languages where regional varieties matter, such as Portuguese.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Illusion
United States
Joined 4105 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 5 of 9
02 July 2014 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Do you have an estimation of how long it will be until you have the program ready for
use? I'd love to try it. Make sure you implement a good search feature for later when
hopefully there will be many texts on the site.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4225 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 6 of 9
03 July 2014 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Before I get involved... is this intended to be an encyclopedia like Wikipedia? Or for people to post texts
to be translated between languages?

polyglottis
Triglot
Switzerland
Joined 3586 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes

Message 7 of 9
03 July 2014 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
@nicozerpa
Indeed, language variations should be available. I can imagine having a main translation, and then a few alternatives. The trick is to make this available but still user-friendly.

@Illusion
We are planning with a first release in September. I hope we will honour the deadline!
And yes, we will work on the search feature and let users sort by date and filter by topic or by difficulty level.

@shk00design
We want to keep the platform open and provide APIs so that people can use the data. Just like Wikipedia does, but we don't have the same focus. Wikipedia focuses on exact and up-to-date meaning, whereas we want to make sure our texts and translations are linguistically correct. In particular, we are not going to let users modify a text wildly after it has been translated into other languages.

We really want to let people build language courses "bottom-up": people enter texts, then translate and annotate them; and when there are enough contents we can start structuring them into chapters or whole courses.

polyglottis
Triglot
Switzerland
Joined 3586 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes

Message 8 of 9
07 July 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
There you go, we have just added a new text in French, including audio!

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version