Diglot
United States
Joined 5165 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 25 of 29
21 July 2014 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
gary, I feel like I can relate to what you write. Spanish just seems do much more valuable and useful to me. I can actually see Spanish really helping me professionally and for travel, etc, etc. Plus, I really like it.

French would really have no practical benefit for me other than to, perhaps, get closer to family members who are native French speakers. I wonder how important that is because I don't think I would really feel "closer" to them or anything... also, my wife does not seem to care and the French heritage my kids have comes from her. I did speak to a close friend who told me about his recent trip to Gaudeloupe... that definitely did motivate me.

Anyway, I did not do any French this morning... that marks three days in a row. Maybe I'll do some on the ride home, but if I don't, I don't mind. On the way in to work today I listened to the news in Spanish and it does feel good.

Oh well, I have a feeling I am going to have this love hate relationship with French...

1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5165 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 26 of 29
30 December 2014 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Yikes, I feel like a total loser for abandoning French like this. I don't regret it. My Spanish has been improving and Spanish is my priority right now. I have thought a lot about doing more French, but it will stay on the back burner for now.

I have set a 2015 goal for myself in Spanish that I am hoping will sow the seeds of my French studies. This year I am going to read the Spanish base of New French With Ease. Eventually I will use this book to learn French so I figured I'd start spending time getting into it. I have no real goal other than to read all the Spanish in it before the end of the year.

Hey, it's not much in terms of learning French, but at least I am making myself think about learning French!

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4455 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 27 of 29
30 December 2014 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Sometimes I feel about Spanish sort of the way you feel about French. It is much more fun to use a language you are already good at. Not that my Spanish is terrible or anything, but when I get on Verbling and the guys there talking as if they were hanging out with their best friend in Madrid blow right past me, it can get pretty discouraging.

Keep on trucking.

Edited by tastyonions on 30 December 2014 at 3:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4699 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 28 of 29
31 December 2014 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I know how it feels to put a language on the back burner. I have done very little with my Hindi and Ancient Greek, and nothing at all with German, because my French is going so well. I think using the Spanish based NFWE is a good idea. A little bit of French now and then will keep the progress you made from going stale. I'm planning to work on the French based Assimil Hindi this year for the same reason.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5165 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 29 of 29
01 February 2015 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm not really doing much with French. I've been sticking mostly to Spanish. However, I have been slowly working my way through the Spanish side of Assimil's El Frances. I really like it. I'm on lesson 37. There is a ton of info in the notes... much more than was in the Spanish Assimil. I'm getting a very basic overview of the language and I'm seeing how the book is set up. I think I'll really enjoy going through the book for real (when I actually read the French side of things and listen to the audio).

French is going to be a long term project and I'm going to take it super slow. I don't want it to feel like work and I don't want to feel bad if I let it slide for a while. The more I do the more I seem to like it so that's good.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version