Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6527 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 89 of 580
17 January 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Hopefully Iversen himself will join in and let us know if he qualifies. :)

My German teacher at university spoke native-level English (his third language after French), and he said he also spoke Spanish and Bulgarian.

I once met the Japanese consul-general from Vancouver; he had immaculate English (the only Japanese I've ever met I can say that about), and his previous postings had been Geneva and Moscow; he confirmed he was also fluent in French and Russian. That's "only" three languages, but the guy was only about forty, leaving plenty of time to learn more languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

wieselchen
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6254 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: German*, English, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 90 of 580
18 February 2007 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Probably

Spanish
Japanese
Italian
Portuguese
Russian

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 91 of 580
18 February 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
As for near-native fluency, I think it's only important to know the words an adult native uses, not the ones he knows passively, but hasn't used or encountered since school.
Anyway if I remember correctly, Ardaschir wrote that his vocabulary in his best languages (around 10 of them, I guess) is about 20,000 words, which is the passive vocabulary of an educated native speaker. So it's definitely possible.

Vertigo
United Kingdom
Joined 6538 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Norwegian

Message 92 of 580
20 February 2007 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
I'd say...

• Italian
  • Dutch
  • Greek
  • French

They're the languages I'm most concerned with right now, for different reasons, but I'm also interested in the Celtic languages, Slovene, and the other Germanic languages. My priorities will probably change with circumstance and experience (not Italian, though, it's too beautiful and I won't give it up).

cameroncrc
Diglot
United States
Joined 6276 days ago

195 posts - 185 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 93 of 580
20 February 2007 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
  • Spanish
  • Mandarin
  • Ukrainian
  • Japanese
  • French

muzikguy
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6243 days ago

19 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Italian

Message 94 of 580
23 February 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone! This is my first post on the site, as I find this site amazing!

Anyway, to the subject, I would say:

->Mandarin
->Spanish
->Italian
->Japanese
->Russian

tspier2
Diglot
United States
Joined 6243 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Macedonian, Afrikaans

Message 95 of 580
25 February 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
* German
* Dutch
* Russian
* Indonesian
* Either Arabic or Portuguese

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 96 of 580
25 February 2007 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
I'm sorry that I didn't notice that I have been referred to in this thread, but I will try to answer anyway. However my first go at an explanation became so long that I have moved it to in my personal profile thread. Belows follows a shorter version.

Basically I can read practically everything I meet in at least 12 out of the 15 languages I have mentioned in my profile more or less without a dictionary, and with Greek, Latin and Icelandic I can read most texts, but only with the help of a dictionary. On top of this I can read at least half a dozen other languages, old language forms and aberrant dialects at least well enough to qualify for the basic level. With clearly spoken language on a standard non-fiction television level I can understand practically everything in almost as many languages, - it is just a matter of learning enough words.

So the limiting factor is the active fluency. And there I must say that my English is much better than even French and German. The difference does not lie in how fast I speak or what I choose to speak about, but partly in the number of 'unforced errors' I make and partly in my trust in what I say, - I may lack crucial words, but more often it is just a matter of being unsure about the correctness of what I'm going to say. But if I was forced to write an essay every week and I had access to a native speaker for say 1-2 hours every week in every one of my languages, I'm quite sure that I could move most of my Basic languages up in the Advanced category within a short time, it is just a matter of practice.

Another question is what it is to be a near-native speaker. I don't speak like any particular Englishman, US-American or Australian (more like a fluid mixture of all of them), - how can I then be near-native? Still I know that I can match Anglophone natives in discussions about anything within my interests, so I have no reason to doubt my level of English.

And last, but not least: if I only was allowed to learn 5 languages I would sit down and cry. I refuse to answer that question.

EDIT: I just can't resist to exemplify that I at least earlier in my life was able to do the things specified by Marc Frisch in French. During my student days I just for fun wrote a complete travesty in correct French alexandrins of the tragedy Médée by Pierre Corneille, where Medée was metamorphosed into an atomic plant in Nôtre-Dame, and Thésée was played by project maker Giscard d'Estaing, who at the end was devoured by les fauves bêtes Mitterand and Marchais. Those were happy days, but my French has deteriorated somewhat since then.

Edited by Iversen on 25 February 2007 at 4:16pm

This discussion contains 580 messages over 73 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version