Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 81 of 95
16 July 2014 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
I agree with your second paragraph Patrick, which is why I think the gender point is relevant. If salary is an argument against bi-lingualism, the same logic should apply to the gender gap in salaries. But, as you say, companies will pay as little as they can get away with, and this applies to paying employees skilled in another language as well as to paying women. I think in the US and UK when a company does need a speaker of a foreign language, they can find an immigrant and pay them less. Or simply outsource that part of the job to an overseas contractor, again paying a lot less. Obviously there are benefits to a company when they pay lower salaries, but there are also costs in the long run.

But thank you for bringing up the idea of the Invisible Hand of the Market. I have been trying to argue against it on this thread, but wasn't quite able to describe it properly.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 82 of 95
16 July 2014 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Again I think this gender salary gap is a red herring in the debate here. I don't even see salary as an argument
against bilingualism. I believe that in countries like the US (and probably the UK) companies will hire immigrants,
heritage speakers and use readily available offshore foreign language services not because they are necessarily
cheaper --I'm not talking about English-language call centers here -- but simply because these resources
provide better language capability.

If a US company wants to expand into the Chinese market, at some point they have to deal with the language
issue. There are various options. For example, there may be a need for a Mandarin speaker in the US to help with
cultural and linguistic adaptation of the product line. Is the choice between an American graduate of the Pimsleur
/ Michel Thomas / Assimil school of Mandarin instruction or a native Mandarin speaker a question purely of
salary?

Or maybe the company wants to open a branch office in China headed by our Mandarin second-language speaker
who, in line with some earlier comments here, is able to create good rapport with the locals and then switches to
English when the discussion becomes serious.

Whatever the option chose, I don't think salary is the main issue.

Edited by s_allard on 16 July 2014 at 10:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Irish_Goon
United States
Joined 6208 days ago

117 posts - 170 votes 

Message 83 of 95
16 July 2014 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Man, this thread is still going? And becoming more attenuated every second.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 84 of 95
17 July 2014 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
I'm always amazed how some people who have nothing to say go out of their way to say any thing.

For those who may be interested, one question raised obliquely by this thread is the professional and financial
value of studying foreign languages in North America. It's a given that there are all sorts of personal and
individual benefits. That's why most of us are here. But considering the considerable time and effort necessary to
achieve anything like a C1, which I consider a minimum for professional use, what is the economic payoff?

Contrary to what the language teachers and academics would have us believe, I think that a foreign language for
most people has no economic value. The time spent studying any language to a decent level would be better
spent on other forms of training.

For a small number of people who are entering areas of the foreign service, military, certain law enforcement
agencies, academia, international organizations such as the Red Cross and the United Nations, foreign language
proficiency is valuable and often a requirement.

Irish_Goon
United States
Joined 6208 days ago

117 posts - 170 votes 

Message 85 of 95
17 July 2014 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
I had something to say...and I said it.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5168 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 86 of 95
17 July 2014 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Patrick Wilken wrote:

"Perhaps companies just aren't smart enough to work out that they need bilingual workers"

And maybe they are smart enough to see that their customers are simply not willing to pay more money for bilingual employees. Why aren't customers talking with their wallets and doing business with the "smart" companies that cost more but have bilingual employees?

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 87 of 95
17 July 2014 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Patrick Wilken wrote:

"Perhaps companies just aren't smart enough to work out that they need bilingual workers"

And maybe they are smart enough to see that their customers are simply not willing to pay more money for
bilingual employees. Why aren't customers talking with their wallets and doing business with the "smart"
companies that cost more but have bilingual employees?

I totally agree. There is no reason to think that companies aren't smart enough to see they need bilingual
workers. Furthermore, in many situations today, at least in the US, bilingual employees do not cost more than
monolingual ones.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 88 of 95
17 July 2014 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
James29 wrote:
Patrick Wilken wrote:

And maybe they are smart enough to see that their customers are simply not willing to pay more money for
bilingual employees. Why aren't customers talking with their wallets and doing business with the "smart"
companies that cost more but have bilingual employees?

I totally agree. There is no reason to think that companies aren't smart enough to see they need bilingual
workers. Furthermore, in many situations today, at least in the US, bilingual employees do not cost more than
monolingual ones.

I didn't actually say this, as the second half the sentence was removed from the quote:

Perhaps companies just aren't smart enough to work out that they need bilingual workers - at least in the subset of companies that work in the UK, and who are sufficiently small that they aren't multinationals with sufficient non-UK workers to fill whatever language gaps they may have.

I certainly think some smaller companies employ bilingual workers, and of course all the big multinationals do so as a matter of course.

BUT I simply don't believe that the market is as efficient as laid out by Adam Smith, which most of you seem to be agreeing with implicitly. I do not believe it is completely inefficient either, but it's verging on economic religion to think that in all places and in all times the market adjusts immediately and perfectly to prevailing conditions.

If you don't believe if the perfection of the market then there is no reason to believe that the need for bilingual workers is perfectly met.

Edited by patrickwilken on 17 July 2014 at 8:51am

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version