Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 24
13 July 2014 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Napoleon, I wonder why you want to take the CPE if it's not popular or well-known in India? I'm not saying you shouldn't, I am just curious. (Also, I'm posting so I can follow your progress).

2 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4827 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 24
14 July 2014 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Napoleon da, your prose reads way better than the sample text from the exam :)
I have only one minor suggestion to make: In your book essay, you go from child -> he. Political correctness dictates that you rephrase so as to maintain gender neutrality.

Thank you Gemeuse da for your feedback.
It is not that I am unaware of the issue of gender sensitivity in writing.
Were I writing an academic paper, I would have tried to be as gender-neutral as possible.
I believe there are two ways in which I could do this:
1. Appending "/her" after every "him", as is the norm in India-
"This book helps him/her make sense of the world, and helps him/her..."
2. Using plurals-
"This book helps children make sense of the world, and helps them..."
As you can see, the former is clunky and does not read very well, and the latter is somewhat unnatural.
However, I understand that I am writing for an examination. So, it is perhaps better that I sacrifice a little style for the sake of political correctness.
If I don't, I hope you will point it out to me.

Gemuse wrote:

1. "younger generation do not regard....their..."
Should it not be "does not regard...its.."

2. "other people's points of view."
This makes my brain hurt.
BTW, is the plural of "point of view", "point of views" or "points of view" or "points of views"?

1. Well, here we are talking about individual members of a generation, so 'generation' behaves like a plural noun.
Writing "...does not regard...its..." is also correct, but then the meaning gets changed.
That would mean we're talking about the generation as a whole.
For example:
The jury was unanimous in its verdict.
The jury were divided on the verdict.

2. Like Ezy Ryder said, the plural of "point of view" is "points of view". Somewhat similar to "brother-in-law", whose plural is "brothers-in-law" and not "brother-in-laws".

Thanks for your feedback and hope to hear more from you Gemeuse da. :)

Edited by napoleon on 14 July 2014 at 9:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4827 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 12 of 24
14 July 2014 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Napoleon, I wonder why you want to take the CPE if it's not popular or well-known in India? I'm not saying you shouldn't, I am just curious. (Also, I'm posting so I can follow your progress).

A couple of reasons-
1. If I pass, and I hope I do, I get a certificate that stays with me for life. Unlike a TOEFL or an IELTS score that has an expiry-date.
2. All my peers claim English "fluency". This may come across as bragging, but that isn't my intent: I know my English is better. How do I prove it, though, short of spending 3 years doing a B.A.(Hons) in English?
3. That the certificate is issued by the Univ. of Cambridge is a huge plus. (Call it a colonial hangover: a Cambridge certificate has value, especially in India.)
4. When I see the regard most of Europe and Latin America have for the Cambridge Proficiency exam, I cannot but help reciprocate. (I'm assuming that even though the CPE is not popular here, it is well-known abroad.)

Now, I've got a couple of quick questions for you- :)
1. You are a teacher, so you're well placed to answer this: do you think I am not ready for the CPE? Please be honest. I'd rather wait a year or two (and get an A) than sit it this year and not pass (or God forbid, get a B). :)
2. If I go the UK for higher studies (Masters/PhD), will having a CPE be beneficial?

Thanks for dropping by. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6678 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 13 of 24
14 July 2014 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Using singular/plural verbs for collectives seems to be different in BrE and AmE. Try "the jury was/were" here.

One interesting way to be PC is to use "singular they". It gets more than 90.000 Google hits. Especially interesting discussions at languagelog, with a nice collection of those found here.

Edited by Lugubert on 14 July 2014 at 10:32am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 14 of 24
14 July 2014 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Napoleon, for the most part I think your written English is excellent. I noticed one typo in the second paragraph of the first essay: "happend". I doubt, however, that you would lose an A for a single typo.

One minor concern about the first essay is that I would suggest you back up your key assertion with evidence:
Quote:
No, the need of the hour is individuality. Individuality sparks creativity and enthusiasm. No one would ever have discovered anything new if everyone were a stickler for tradition.

This could be followed up with an example of an artist or inventor.

As to finding gender-neutral pronouns, that is a tricky subject. It actually has been used in English for centuries. In university in the USA, I starting using "singular they" rather than "he" and got away with it. But my university had a strong tradition of gender equality, so professors might have been more tolerant of it than CPE examiners. Paul Brians argues that it shouldn't be used in formal writing:
they/their (singular)

I really recommend you keep Paul Brians' list of common errors in your favourites. He is an American, but he does refer to differences between British and American usages.
Common Errors in English Usage

However, maybe you should see if you can find a guide specifically made for the CPE. It should tell you about what is expected in the cases we have been discussing.

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4827 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 15 of 24
16 July 2014 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Napoleon, for the most part I think your written English is excellent. I noticed one typo in the second paragraph of the first essay: "happend". I doubt, however, that you would lose an A for a single typo.
One minor concern about the first essay is that I would suggest you back up your key assertion with evidence:
Quote:
No, the need of the hour is individuality. Individuality sparks creativity and enthusiasm. No one would ever have discovered anything new if everyone were a stickler for tradition.

This could be followed up with an example of an artist or inventor.

I’m really very sorry for taking so long to reply.

I think you’ve made an excellent observation. Citing an example would have made the essay so much better.
This is exactly the kind of feedback I’m looking for.
It’s funny how this reminds me of a dialogue from Unit 4 of the FSI French Basic Course:

Unit 4 (Faisons des courses) - FSI French Basic wrote:

C’est exactement ce qu’il me faut.
Donnez m’en quatre ! :)

Now that I’ve graduated, there are very few people whom I can approach for this kind of thing.
So don’t hold anything back. Be brutal in your assessment.
I’d rather cry today and fix whatever is wrong than cry later if I don’t do well at the CPE. :)

Jeffers wrote:

I really recommend you keep Paul Brians' list of common errors in your favourites. He is an American, but he does refer to differences between British and American usages.
Common Errors in English Usage

I’d heard of this book before but I never got around to buying it.
In any case, it’s an excellent recommendation.
Thanks.

Edited by napoleon on 17 July 2014 at 5:09am

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4827 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 16 of 24
29 July 2014 at 11:03pm | IP Logged