soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3702 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 12
11 July 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
According the dw.de I'm a B1, though I feel like maybe a high A2 or low B1. I'd like to eventually take the B2 exam and wanted to know the best way to take steps for preparing for it. Of my main programs, I'll be done with Assimil in about a month, Pimsleur (4th and last level) in about a week, I'll be done with Hugo probably in a months of so and move on to the Hugo Advanced book. I also watch a lot of media (shows/movies). I also have a few natives that I practice speaking with and the DW course (which I've currently taken a break from but will resume one I finish the other programs).

Would continuing these practices prepare me for taking the B2 exam? (which wouldn't be for maybe a year). Also, is planning on taking it next Spring/Summer being too ambitious? For an idea of my learning pace, I only knew basic stuff before I started serious study back in February.
1 person has voted this message useful

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4263 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: Persian, Italian*, EnglishC2, GermanB2
Studies: French, Polish

Message 2 of 12
11 July 2014 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
One classmate of mine took the TestDaf, which is C1 after 3 weeks of preparation course. His level may have been a solid B1 or a low B2 at most, and his German was less strong than mine (in all areas except for the speaking), which I consider to be to a low B2. He's still expecting the results, but he was confident having passed it.

In addition some people took and passed the B1 test with a solid A2 level of German, and many people pass the DSH C1 with a strong B2.
What I'm trying to say is that those tests have lower expections than your current level.

I'm gonna take TELC B2 next month, and I'm just gonna be practicing translating top-thema articles from DW and working a grammar book called Grammatik B, which I bought and yet have to start. The last two weeks I'll check some example tests to get accustomed to the format, and that's all. If you mastered 80% of Assimil I think you could take it in less than a couple of months of hard word.

Edited by drygramul on 11 July 2014 at 3:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3702 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 3 of 12
12 July 2014 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
Thanks drygramul; you really think a couple more months? Also, how much do these exams typically cost?

Oh, after rereading my post I realized I left out an important piece of info: I mean the Geothe Institut B2 exam, not the dw.de one.

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4263 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 

Message 4 of 12
12 July 2014 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
I'm not familiar precisely with both TELC or GOETHE formats, but if it's just to pass it (60%) it shouldn't be a problem with the grammar knowledge of assimil and some active work on different themas (DW top-thema are just fine). The active skills are the only hard ones, and you're at advantage because you can already speak German with other people, while I can't. I've recently checked Assimil and there's still a lot I could learn from it in terms of grammar and sentence structures, and still some grammar things you won't need for B2 (konjunktiv I, for instance).

I paid for mine around 110 - 130 euro, if I remember correctly. Most of them are around this price, but I'm taking it in Germany. I think it could cost a little more in your country. The DSH for C1 it's the only one that can cost as less as 60 euros or as much as 200 euros depending on were you take it, because it's not standardised.

I've tried this test a couple of days ago for both English and German and I think it was realiable for judging your grammar level. That doesn't cover of course vocabulary and German expressions.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 12
12 July 2014 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
While I haven't tried any German exam yet, a good way to prepare yourself for a B2 or higher exam is to go
through the typical assignments. Being able to speak with other people is good but it may not suffice
(depends on the situations you are speakin in usually),handling various usual situations tends to be the
matter of A1-B1 exams. And the written tasks in an exam may have specifics as well. A lot depends on the
format of the exam and the tasks, on things the examinators are looking for in particular (such as correct
structure of a text, knowing the genre you are required to write in, proper forms and registers for the speaking
part). So, while you seem to be working on great base, getting a preparatory coursebook with CDs may be
very useful. It is very true that you can pass a higher exam than your "real" level probably is if you get
prepared for exactly the typical tasks. On the other hand, it isn't that hard to fail if you totally underestimate
the preparation, especially if you "really" are on the edge of B1/2

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4263 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 

Message 6 of 12
23 July 2014 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Just un update, the guy I told you about with a solid B1 and 3 weeks test training, passed the TestDaf (C1) with full score in all parts.

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3702 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 7 of 12
23 July 2014 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
You mean it took him 3 weeks to get from B1 to C1 (did I read that right?)

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4263 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 

Message 8 of 12
23 July 2014 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
I mean you can pass the C1 test with 3 weeks of training, and maybe a bit of luck. German tests seem to overestimate greatly your skills.
Just watch this B1 example from Goethe. No way that's even a B1, in fact people from my class with A2 passed it without effort, as I said.

At the end of the same month in which my classmate took the aforementioned TestDaf, we had die Abschlussprüfung for the B2. I scored 83%, he 64% or less. And I'd still classify myself as a low B2 at most.
I took the academic Ielts last summer with a 8/9 score, and the FCE a decade ago, so I do know what a C1 level looks like, and we're both years far from that.

Edited by drygramul on 23 July 2014 at 7:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version