United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 13
14 July 2014 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
@guiguixx1:

Reading comprehension is important of course, but so is listening comprehension. I don't
know if HP 2 is available in Spanish as an unabridged audiobook, but if it is, and you
can get hold of it without too much trouble, then you might find it instructive just to
see how much you can understand by listening alone, as compared to listening and reading
along.

Listening to native-speed Spanish can be pretty daunting if you aren't very used to it,
but audiobooks are a slightly easier way of getting into listening, although in time, you
will want to widen the range of your listening material. Other people on HTLAL will no
doubt be happy to advise on choice of such material.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 13
14 July 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
guiguixx1 wrote:

Or do you propose that I focus mainly on one language to pratice most? I still have a lot of reading in French, Dutch and English (I study languages at the university) so this already takes some time. I can therefore hardly read ONLY in one target language...

Sofrid (who is in charge of the challenge) suggested that we should all signup for only one language in order to focus and make gains in that language. Of course people (including myself) ignored this good advice and have signed up for more than one.

My advice to you would be to sign up just for Spanish for the purposes of the SC and track your progress. This doesn't doesn't stop you reading other material or watching films in other languages.

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 13
16 July 2014 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Well French definitely doesn't count since it's your native language :) IDK, it depends on how much you care about the challenge. Don't let it pwn your life completely though. Been there.
Also, as of now your ranking on the bot page will only improve when you submit updates in your best language (or when you submit such a large update that your best language changes).

meigui2108
Russian Federation
accounts.tsu.ru/Prof
Joined 3038 days ago

11 posts - 7 votes

Message 12 of 13
06 December 2015 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
I am Russian, studying English since childhood, many of my university
(http://www.tsu.ru/) friends had read Harry Potter, I also want to try .. but think it
will not be easy, as I had started read "The Lord of the Rings", for me it was difficult

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 13
08 December 2015 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Hello spammer... LOTR is harder to read than HP (especially the early parts of HP)

Edited by Serpent on 08 December 2015 at 6:14am

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version