Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5897 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 3
14 July 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Came across this BBC article documenting the experiences of 20 people. I was intrigued by the Czech guy whose thought and speech processes segregate between the mundane (e,g buying milk - in which using English is an effort) and the scientific / philosophical (e.g discussing geology - in which his English is fluent).
2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4236 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 2 of 3
14 July 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
There are a number of factors involved where a person can potentially lose fluency in his/her mother-
tongue. For those who kept their native language at a high level:
1. People who live outside of their native country in places with a large ethnic population from their
homeland.
2. People who make the effort to use their mother-tongue at home or on a regular basis.
3. People who are married to others who also speak the same mother-tongue.
4. People who travel and/or communicate between countries where their mother-tongue is spoken.

I know Chinese people who emigrated to English-speaking countries and are able to maintain their
fluency in spoken Chinese but have virtually lost their ability to read the characters (including restaurant
menus). This applies to languages that have writing systems that are not easy to master. If you travel
back to your home country frequently and watch TV shows & movies, you'd have no trouble maintaing a
high fluency in the spoken language.

A number of years ago I went to a summer exchange program in Taiwan with a travelling companion
from the US. For many years he insisted that we write to each other in Chinese. We would write letters a
few times a year by hand until I decided to type the characters on a computer. 2 years ago he switched
to typing his letters as well. When we started, we learned different characters phonetically with Zhuyin
(BPMF) still in use in Taiwan and many years later switched to using Pinyin. Last year ago he came for a
visit. Although he still prefers to communicate in English, but his Chinese writing has improved over the
years considering that we both live in English-speaking countries.

Consider the case of the polyglot Moses McCormick who lives in the US. He picked up half-dozen
languages without leaving the country. Even after marrying a wife from Taiwan, he had not travelled
there until a few years later. By then his Chinese was already at an intermediate level. With the Internet,
you can find all sorts of broadcasts online including TV programs, news, movies, radio programs.
Personally I'm spending some of my time viewing Chinese and French videos although videos in English
tend to dominate. You can maintain a high fluency if you spend enough time on a language including
watching videos, going to chatrooms online to interact with native-speakers.

The Japanese singer "JERO" is an example of someone who emigrated to Japan from the US and adopted
the country as his homeland. He travels between the 2 countries and maintains a high level of fluency in
both languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

holly heels
Groupie
United States
Joined 3678 days ago

47 posts - 107 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
15 July 2014 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Sometimes even people who don't speak a major language can remain fluent in it even after moving overseas permanently, provided they make a conscious effort.

When I was on vacation I was invited by a friend of mine to a house that is owned by a woman, who emigrated to the USA from Belgium after marrying an American. Her native language is Flemish and apparently didn't want to forget it, so she was able to find a Flemish club of native speakers which has a monthly dinner where the only language you are allowed to speak is Flemish, so this has been very helpful.

I have the exact same problem that was mentioned, if it is a problem, of speech segregation between the mundane and the philosophical.

Maybe it's the difference between depth of knowledge and breadth of knowledge.

In Mandarin I can prattle on for quite awhile on general subjects without using English, but when it comes to specifics, it's extremely difficult for me sometimes.

For example I am able to talk in Mandarin about the automobile and its impact on society and the world, not because I'm a great philosopher, but because the vocabulary I have so far just fits more comfortably with that subject, but that doesn't necessarily mean I know the Mandarin word for "steering wheel".

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version