Joined 7077 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 8
29 January 2005 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I thought I would share my method of memorizing vocabulary with every one. I am using an adaptation of flash cards.

In my case, I would first read passages and other reading material to acquire new words. Firstly, I would get a list of these words and look them up. Then I will use the list of vocbulary, with their definition to re-read the passage to make sure I looked up the proper definition for the context.

In my case, I am concerned about durability and convenience. Business cards are too large to be carried in my pocket and I think that cards get easily damaged. Loose cards can easily be lost too.

One day, I went through my pile of junk and found these little chains or loops that I can use to put in vocabulary cards.

At my stage of learning, I do not yet need to copy down entire sentences or long expressions. My flash cards are all 1 inch by 2 inches. I would punch holes in each of them and put them in the chain.

Similarily, one side is the language you're learning and the other is the language that you know. I have tried putting in small expressions and it worked quite well.

I would generally use these flashcards on a bus. First looking on the French side, guessing the meaning, then reading the other side. I would proceed until I think that I have enough vocabulary for the day. I review the new acquired vocabulary, and go through them until I can think of the corresponding meaning without reflection time. (i.e. don't need to think about it)

Then I would turn the chain over and read the English side and give the French word.

When I'm done the whole chain, I would practice giving the meaning on the other side. After that I would open the chain randomly, and give the French word on the left side, and English on the right side.

I keep doing it until I'm completely familiar with the vocabulary. (I have tried scrambling them, but it's a hassle on the bus and I find it only a bit better than opening it up randomly.)

Just as any learner would, I practice the new vocabulary by using them in sentences.

You can purchase these "chain flashcards" from your local store and make your own. I find that finding the chain is actually the most difficult.

Edited by administrator on 31 January 2005 at 2:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7135 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 8
31 January 2005 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Hello Victor, thanks for this great post! I love the picture, this really shows how it is. Your way of using the flash cards is very interesting, I like the keyrings idea.

Personally I have developped a small software with a database that prints 24 flash cards per A4 sheet. It prints the Russian on one side and the English or French on the other side. Then I go around town with my stack of flash cards divided in 3 stacks. Here is it:

1st stack - Russian to English/French
2nd stack - English/French to Russian
3d stack - Once again English to Russian after a week or so

Then they go in a big box and are considered learned (sometimes I would forget them nonetheless).

The stack is arranged like this:

Stack#1/separation/stack#3/separation/stack#2

with a business card folded in two that holds stack #3 and stacks #1 and #2 go in front and in the back of stack #3. I carry them with a rubber band and study them in the elevator, at restaurants or while watching TV.

Other forum members, tell us how you use flash cards!

Edited by administrator on 31 January 2005 at 2:18am

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7074 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 3 of 8
31 January 2005 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
I used to buy blank business cards and cut them into four pieces. I was initially satisfied with this size, but I later found that it was too small to travel with (too easy to lose), so I started buying Vis-ed's blanks flashcards, which are a little narrower than a full business card and much cheaper. I've tried using just paper, but it's too thin and wears away too easily. It's also not heavy enough and can blow away in the wind.

I'll probably start using a ring to bind the cards instead of the usual elastic. My only concern is that I won't have the flexibility to move a difficult word to the middle of the deck.

I've made audio flash cards a few times. It's pretty easy if you a microphone and software that can record in mp3 format. I would take about 50 words and say them first in English then in Chinese with small gaps between each word. When listening to it, I would try to translate the word before I heard the answer. The advantage to this is that you can put it on an mp3 player and set it to loop, then use it while walking, exercising, etc.

drifter
Triglot
Taiwan
Joined 6987 days ago

23 posts - 25 votes
1 sounds
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishB2, Spanish

Message 4 of 8
09 February 2005 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
i wonder what should i do if i end up making too many flashcards in a short time?? and if i should write down a typical use sentence to each new word on the flashcard?? or words only?

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7135 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 8
09 February 2005 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum Drifter,

I have the same problem you have right now, with my Russian deck of flash cards bigger than my hand. Don't worry - it's better to have too many flash cards, with one card for each example phrase and one card for the main word.

If you have too many flash cards, just take some more time to study them. Eventually you'll have to study the words anyway, so having too many is like having words in the dictionary that you do not need. They are just in storage and ready to be studied later.

You can also divide them in two, study the first stack for a week, then move to the second.

Which language are you learning? I saw amazing pictures of Hakka fortified homes in China a couple days ago, very impressive. Is Hakka a dialect of Chinese? Do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese in Taiwan?

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7077 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 8
09 February 2005 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum Drifter. Which part of Taiwan do you comem from? (If you can read this, then your English is quite good! Why not add it to your profile?)

drifter
Triglot
Taiwan
Joined 6987 days ago

23 posts - 25 votes
1 sounds

Message 7 of 8
10 February 2005 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Which language are you learning? I saw amazing pictures of Hakka fortified homes in China a couple days ago, very impressive. Is Hakka a dialect of Chinese? Do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese in Taiwan?[/QUOTE]

:-) i sent an email to you lately asking a question about how to improve english.
I am learning English,Spanish and Esperanto
yeah hakka is a dialect of chinese. We speak Mandarin in taiwan.

drifter
Triglot
Taiwan
Joined 6987 days ago

23 posts - 25 votes
1 sounds

Message 8 of 8
10 February 2005 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
victor wrote:
Welcome to the forum Drifter. Which part of Taiwan do you comem from? (If you can read this, then your English is quite good! Why not add it to your profile?)

I am from the north western Taiwan.
:-D thank you :-D I just think it's not good enough.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version