United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4684 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 3
18 July 2014 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a kindle pop-up dictionary for Italian?

I am using the Merriam-Webster dictionary, and it doesn't recognize close to 1/3 of the
words I select - and I'm reading Harry Potter, not some exotic or literary work with a
lot of rare phrases. I've needed to keep a regular dictionary handy as back up, which
defeats the purpose of reading on a kindle.

Interestingly, the Merriam-Webster French dictionary is really good.
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5002 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 3
18 July 2014 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
Unfortunately I don't have a good one to recommend, but I have another to not particularly recommend: "An Electronic Italian Dictionary". It works great half the time, but it seems extremely incomplete: some conjugated forms of verbs will automatically show the entry for the infinitive, but others will just say "3rd person passato remoto of XYZ" so you then need to look up XYZ to find the meaning. Same for many plural forms of nouns: "plural of XYZ". Also, the definitions are nowhere near as complete as in something like WordReference, and again, many words just aren't in it. Half the time if I don't know a word, the dictionary doesn't either.

Despite all that, it's certainly better than nothing and it's helped me, and the price isn't bad although I'd prefer to pay more for something more complete.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
18 July 2014 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
If your Kindle is an Android device. You should be able to use this popup dictionary.

Popup Dictionary Google Play

You can set it to use google translate with Italian / English.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version