Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Comics in SRS

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5143 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 1 of 2
19 July 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I have arrived at simple strategy for working with Comic books in SRS

I'm using "Manga Reader v. 1.5.6", which contains a snapshot tool, that allows you to select a rectangle and quickly copy it to the clipboard. Then, you can paste it into an image editor and save it. I have, however, written a Python script that monitors the clipboard and saves the image to the disk. (Here: http://pastebin.com/PphiNXcB - Windows only, requires PIL, it also saves a text file wherein I paste the necessary dictionary definitions)

I will select a frame that has a new word or expression, and create a flashcard with the picture in front and the definitions on the back.

I will write my own SRS system for this, but I suppose loading them into Anki and the such won't be hard.

So simple and effective, a major breakthrough in my workflow. Wished it had occurred me long before.

Edited by luhmann on 19 July 2014 at 8:55pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5143 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 2 of 2
23 July 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Here is a new version of the clipboard watching script:
http://pastebin.com/0URpswCh
(Python 2.x, windows only, requires PIL)

And here is the SRS system:
http://pastebin.com/p3msWzKd (updated as of 24/07/2014)
(Python 2.x, requires PIL)

It's a simple SRS system, that can easily be modified to do tons of different stuff.

In it's current state, it will look for JPG or PNG files in its own folder, and for an optional TXT file with the same name that contains the answer. So you can make any type of picture flashcards without need to change the code.

How to use:

You have two options to grade a card:

Apply a multiplier (keys 0-9). If you have seen a card one minute ago, and press '4', it will show again in four minutes, if you have last seen a card six hours ago, pressing '9' it will show again in 2 days and 6 hours, etc. Typically I will only use 1-2 = hard, 3-4 = OK, 5-6 = Very easy.
Define an interval manually (keys q-p). The card should come again after the specified amount of time. By default: 'q': 1 sec, 'w': 30 sec, 'e': 2 min, 'r': 4 min, 't': 6 hours, 'y': 23 hours, 'u': 4 days, 'i': one week, 'p': 20 days.
I will use q-r for new and failed cards, according to the perceived difficulty, the rest is only used for occasional adjustments.

The answer is shown together with the question because the font is small and requires effort to read, so I only very rarely spoil a test, thus I did not feel the need for a 'Show Answer' function for now, but it shall be added soon enough.

Close the application window to save your session and quit. If you close the Python command window first, it terminates without saving. (An autosave feature is planned.)

Edited by luhmann on 24 July 2014 at 11:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version