glidefloss
United States
Joined 5764 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 7
21 July 2014 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
I wish I could upload a small sample of my audiobooks somewhere, but I don't know how to cut down the size.

When you're still at the beginner stage, do you find accents and sound quality to hugely influence your
comprehension? For instance, I can understand one Harry Potter book on it's own now, after having used it for L-R,
because it has a specific type of accent, and good crisp clear sound quality; when I listen to it, all the words are
'separate,' even words I don't yet know. But for other audiobooks, there is a much different accent. For instance,
this is something of a difficult accent for me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lmJqUsa-ng
it sounds king of mumbly
1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4855 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 7
21 July 2014 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
I have the same problem, and it's unfortunately not limited to the beginner stage. When you listen to your native
language, your brain fills in a lot of information that is ambiguous in the sound itself because of noise, poor
sound quality, or other complicating factors. Luckily, you have pretty constrained expectations about what the
words could be, so you not only understand them, but also don't even recognize that you filled them in yourself
and didn't really hear them.

In a foreign language even at advanced level, it can happen that sentences you would normally understand with
no problem become unintelligible if the sound quality is reduced. Despite the fact that you know all the words
and grammar, you've heard them perhaps only 1/20 as many times, so the top-down expectations are not nearly
as strong, and your ability to fill in the missing bits is way weaker if for some reason you don't hear some bits
clearly.

At the beginner to intermediate levels, a low-quality sound recording is usually almost entirely unintelligible.
Don't waste your time with one- you won't learn many new words if the only ones you can make out are the ones
you already know very well.

Listen, listen, listen, and it will get better, albeit slowly. In the meantime, you will learn faster with high quality
recordings.

P.S. A very similar effect occurs for me when I listen to recordings about topics I know nothing about.

Edited by robarb on 21 July 2014 at 5:39am

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5764 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 

Message 3 of 7
21 July 2014 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
I do find I learn better with the higher quality, clearer recording. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me find a place
to buy literary Spanish audiobooks. Audible seems to have a lot of abridged versions. Also, a lot of youtube
audiobooks seem to be read by a computer program.

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4855 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 4 of 7
21 July 2014 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
You could try Librivox for free public domain audiobooks, but the sound quality spans the entire range, and the
books are all 100+ years old. Could be useful if you're really concentrating on literary Spanish. But I'm sure
someone on here knows where to buy Spanish contemporary lit audiobooks.

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5764 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 

Message 5 of 7
21 July 2014 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure whether I should use this or not. While I was doing some L-R, here is what I heard from the book while
reading the English. These are probably all words I've heard before, though, so I'm considering your point about
not learning unfamiliar words. Sorry, I know this has errors, but you can see I recognized some of the words from
the sentence that in English went, "Put it this way, Potter, said Mad Eye Moody finally, they say old Mad Eye is
obsessed with catching dark wizards, but I'm nothing compared to Barty Crouch.

====mira potter firmanente disait que ojo loco que con obsesiandao atrapado magos tenebrosos ..ojo loco es
nado .. nada de barty crouch...

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4240 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 6 of 7
21 July 2014 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
In English, it takes a while to get used to the difference between the English & American accent along
with differences in words & phrases.

In Chinese you find Mandarin speakers in the "Beijing" accent with a lot of "er" sounds at the end of
words vs. those in southern China & Taiwan (often refer to as having a neutral accent). And there are
some differences in words & phrases between China & Taiwan as well.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4418 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 7 of 7
24 July 2014 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
It's good to have a variety of accents in audio sources because that reflects real life. That said, it needs to be
kept within reason. Making the dialogue too difficult for the listener to understand is counter productive.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version