Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 9 of 12
07 August 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:

So I was wondering: after completion, do any of you go back over the program and really study the content in depth? What exactly do you do? What is your strategy/method?

I go back to pretty much all previous courses from time to time, even fairly simple ones like Pimsleur or Michel Thomas.

But, as James29 noted, I usually wait a few months to do it after moving on to other resources. There's almost always something that I'd either forgotten or, more importantly, after studying other resources, I can see in a different light.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5097 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 10 of 12
07 August 2014 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
I think it all go down to repetitions over period of time and novelty.

Repetitions: Doing the same course a few times with time between each time is, in my opinion, beneficial if your passive skill are B2 or less for the basic Assimil course. I'm not a polyglot but I do like to do a Assimil course (passive and active wave). Then, I'm able to do read easy text (with the help of lingq) and/or I take another course (Assimil or another) and do it. I will come back and I always find stuff that I didn't fully understand that are now acquire (yea!) or I find area of difficulty. The latter can be review again. I might do a the passive/active wave twice.

Novelty: As it was mention before, at some point after doing the same Assimil book over and over again the problem of memorization arise. That where novelty is key. By using native or others courses to in conjunction with your Assimil book you have another perspective on a same grammar point for example. Another thing I'm trying at the moment, is to review the course in a different matter. For example, the Assimil audio is use as a way for me to do a dictation of the lesson without looking at the text. I listen to the audio twice. No more no less. Pausing between sentence to give me enough time to write down the dialogue. After, I correct my dictation and I reread the grammar explanation. I did 35 lessons so far from L'espagnol, and almost all my mistake are accents. I note down the grammar rule that are not internalize. This give me something to look for when I read the newspaper.

At some point, I guess that the benefit of doing Assimil many times will decrease to a point that it will be more advantageous to use native materials or others programs. For me, mastery of over 80-90% of a course is decent that exclude idiomatic expressions before I find them, for the most part, useless.

1 person has voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4895 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 11 of 12
08 August 2014 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
I never bothered to finish Assimil. I sort of feel like I should, but I never really feel
like doing all of the translating.
1 person has voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5140 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 12 of 12
09 August 2014 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:
So I was wondering: after completion, do any of you go back over the program and really study the content in depth? What exactly do you do? What is your strategy/method?

N + 1. Whatever I have just finished, I try to continue with something that is a little more advanced, comprehensive, or that in some way complements rather than simply reiterate what I have already seen. Unless I were studying a language utterly devoid of materials or that I had neglected to the degree that it altogether slipped out of my mind, I see little point in going back to completed courses. Select your materials so that each of them in succession brings you a little closer to the summit instead of revisiting already trodden paths.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version