Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Learning Assimil Vocabulary

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: How do you learn Assimil vocabulary?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [15.38%]
10 [19.23%]
15 [28.85%]
8 [15.38%]
11 [21.15%]
You can not vote in this poll

16 messages over 2 pages: 1
Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 9 of 16
24 July 2014 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Expugnator wrote:
I actually do an active wave only.

That is very interesting. Can you expound on that Expugnator?

I mean for the exercises. I only translate from L1 into L2 (from French into Norwegian at Le Norvégien Sans Peine, for example). I do listen to and study the dialogues, but when it comes to the exercises I already try to do a sort of an active wave. I won't say this is effective, but I usually don't spend much time at each course and lately I've been adding native materials asap.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rlnv
United States
Joined 3746 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 10 of 16
03 August 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
I have different approaches for the two Assmil's that I'm currently doing. For Assimil NFWE, I'm doing the two recommended waves, and also writing out each lesson. I'm also listening to the audio in condensed single MP3's from time to time, with and without the book. In the poll I chose "I just keep reviewing the course until I know it all" due to it being the most relevant.

For Assimil French Without Toil, I'm doing a single wave, with periodic quick listens to the earlier lessons. I intend to get through this one fairly quickly, although I may slow down towards the end depending on the difficulty.

Edited by rlnv on 03 August 2014 at 10:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Baracuda
Groupie
United States
Joined 5600 days ago

53 posts - 81 votes 
Studies: Spanish, French, Russian, German

Message 11 of 16
06 August 2014 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
I just started German with Ease a couple weeks ago. I start lessons by first trying to
understand the written dialogue, after I feel I understand 95% or so, I write out the
lesson (in the target language of course) including the extra exercise sentences, and
after that I start listening to the recordings. While listening I refer back the book as
needed to refresh my memory whenever I don't remember a word. I've also not been doing one
lesson per day, but rather 2-3 lessons at a time for 2-3 days. My motivation at the
moment, is to get ready for a German film festival happening here in Portland in October.
At the moment I'm mostly worried about listening, but I'll do the active phase after going
through the entire book passively.

The first time I used an assimil course (Spanish with Ease) I just went through all the
lessons passively. Basically I was being lazy.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 16
06 August 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
I voted for 80/20. So far I haven't gone through an Assimil course properly, I've mostly used them for shadowing and consolidation.

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3620 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 13 of 16
19 August 2014 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
At first I would merely write down the lessons and exercises, but I'm getting to a point in Italian with Ease that I would really like tables with verb conjugation and other word forms. So I think I will move to using it for reinforcement, and maybe put sentences onto Anki. I started Schaum's Outlines for grammatical know-how.

lsilvaj
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 3925 days ago

34 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Russian

Message 14 of 16
21 August 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
I never did "active waves" with Assimil because I find it too hard to relate the given translation of L2 to L1. Sometimes it's just ridiculous. The harder the course, obviously the worse it is. For example, The 2 versions of "Perfectionnement Allemand".

Of course German is structurally very different from French, but they don't make any effort to keep any kind of consistence, or to keep the sentences minimally similar. Sometimes that would be a very easy thing to do, which makes me really annoyed. Translation shouldn't be a guess, specially when you're a learner.

Hell, even in my edition of "German with Easy" I find some IMO real absurdities.

If I wasn't so tired right now, I could give dozens of examples.

When I want to exercise putting sentences together, I look somewhere else.

Edited by lsilvaj on 21 August 2014 at 5:45am

hokusai77
Triglot
Italy
Joined 6947 days ago

212 posts - 217 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*, FrenchB1, EnglishC1
Studies: GermanB1, Japanese

Message 15 of 16
24 August 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
I voted for putting the unknown vocabulary in an SRS (Anki, in my case). I'm doing this
for German and Japanese at the moment, two languages I already know at an intermediate
level, because I need to expand my active vocabulary, and both courses seem very rich in
words and idioms.

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3540 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 16 of 16
31 August 2014 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
How do you go about learning vocabulary from an Assimil course?

Note 1: The 80/20 rule says you get 80% of the benefit from
20% of the effort. Here it

Note 2: if you can mention the language you're talking about, that would be helpful. Mandarin is tougher than
French for native English speakers.

I go through Assimil Italian With Ease. I just go through lessons as suggested by the course + read over 7-10 recent
dialogs and listen to them on my smartphone on the go.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version