Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5858 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 9 of 11
25 July 2014 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
I'll try to contribute here, although I don't understand the "low stakes" part of the opening post. Or perhaps, if I understand, I don't agree with it. Maybe I'm too traditional. Or think like an Asian. :)

Anyway...

One good thing is to be held accountable. That's why I always took classes. When you're sitting in a classroom (or alone with your teacher, tolerant as he may be), you don't want to make a fool of yourself, now do you?

A few hours ago, I was chatting with my Sanskrit teacher, who's in India on vacation. Apart from setting up a skype session further down the line, he asked whether I had questions, and I said I'd have some by tomorrow. This will force me to work a bit until then.

Of course, this last example is not a test stricto sensu, but it forces me to be prepared.

I know many people here don't interact a lot in their TL, but if you can, challenge yourself, be it with the exchange student next door, the friendly immigrant fruit vendor, the Italian-owned pizza place, or whatever. I had one good conversation with a Lebanese restaurant owner in my hometown. He corrected my poor Arabic a thousand and one times, but was still enthusiastic about it. And boy, did I try! Same with the Libyan doctors on the subway. Tough but rewarding bit.

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7002 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 10 of 11
25 July 2014 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
I'll try to contribute here, although I don't understand the "low stakes" part of the opening post. Or perhaps, if I understand, I don't agree with it. Maybe I'm too traditional.

You probably do understand :) "Low stakes" has a bit of a gambling reference. It means, if you were to fail, it wouldn't impact your life. "High stakes" on the other hand mean you are gambling with the rent money. These phrases are used outside of gambling contexts as well.

You make a good point. I can see the value of both. The low stakes tests eventually allow you to "raise the stakes". I.E., do something harder, which for you isn't.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 11
25 July 2014 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
From what I remember the test effect comes from having to recall information and not from simply recognizing it.

Many listening based activities would not be tests, because you don't have to recall the structures and remember the words or forms you can use with a certain structure, you only have to recognize them and understand what they mean in the context of this sentence - and often enough you can guess from the context.
Audio based drills can be tests. It probably depends on how much you yourself 'want to get it completely right' before moving on to the next task.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version