Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 4814 days ago

71 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: German*, Swiss-German, English
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch

Message 9 of 13
29 July 2014 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't call it limited ability but my brain somestimes needs a few seconds / minutes to transition.

I don't to get to use English nearly as often/much as I wished. So I use my L2 probably less than as most of you here.
Though when I do, after longer periods I am sometimes having difficulty recalling specialized (less common)
vocabulary in my L1. This effect quickly wears off after a few minutes, if not seconds. And I have never felt any
impediment to sentence structure or grammar - just the odd word that might be amiss.

Switching from German to Swiss German and vice versa, I make the occasional slip in pronunciation. These two are,
of course, only different varieties of German, so vocabulary is pretty much identical and there not a problem.
1 person has voted this message useful

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3526 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 10 of 13
31 August 2014 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Yes, when I start to learn intensively, listen to second language while walking, driving, going to work, watching
movies, educational courses, read websites I begin to have some trouble with my native language so I start to think
that I have to read and listen something long in duration in my native language.

tornus
Diglot
GroupieRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4924 days ago

82 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, Danish

Message 11 of 13
02 September 2014 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
I've been living in Denmark for more than year now. I'm speaking virtually only English since I study in a very International school with students and teachers coming from a lot of different places but I'm also trying to get to know Danish in the meantime (I'm also exposed to Spanish to a much smaller extent). I'm originally from Northern France and I have to say speaking French has been very frustrating.
When we talk among ourselves with my French classmates, it gets really messed up and we resort a lot to Danish and English words "c'est så hyggeligt!" or "je suis super proud de moi"(pronouncing super with a Danish u") or syntax, or I sometimes use English particle for French verbs "promener around" "prendre over". The more lazy I am with speaking French correctly, the worse my French gets in the long run. Hence, I decided to make more effort to maintain it.
The worst is that my English is far from being perfect and can be very challenging.

Before moving abroad, I had a lot of English inputs everyday but speaking French was a never a problem. I guess it can only happens with intense immersion.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 12 of 13
09 September 2014 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
I think if you are raised and educated entirely in your native language, it will always be very strong, no matter where you live in the world. I do spend 2-3 weeks each year immersed in German but I don't ever feel this lowers my ability in English, even temporarily. However, the odd German word might slip through upon returning home but this disappears after a couple of days.

Edited by beano on 09 September 2014 at 4:55pm

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4034 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 13
09 September 2014 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
I spend most of my time immensed in English and I find that my Finnish is as good as ever.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version