patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4330 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 34
24 July 2014 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Quiet a nice set of maps showing the what the first, second, and third most common foreign languages people speak in the EU by country:

http://jakubmarian.com/map-of-the-most-spoken-foreign-langua ges-of-the-eu-by-country/

The same site also has maps showing the percentage of people would can have a conversation in various EU languages (no idea what 'conversation' means in this case):

English

German

French

Russian

Edited by patrickwilken on 24 July 2014 at 3:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5033 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 34
24 July 2014 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to guess the 19% of people in England who can hold a conversation in French ARE French. Check out this article.

More French people live in London than in Bordeaux, Nantes or Strasbourg

The French consulate in London estimates between 300,000 and 400,000 French citizens live in the British capital.

:)
7 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4462 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 34
24 July 2014 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
So the English are on average the most conversational non-native speakers of French in
the EU? Interesting!
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5033 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 4 of 34
24 July 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
So the English are on average the most conversational non-native speakers of French in the EU? Interesting!

humm... I have serious doubts about the accuracy of that statement. Going only on the anecdotal evidence of my experience (working for a French company in the UK) the people in this HQ building who speak French are:

1 French woman
1 German woman
1 Hungarian woman
1 French/Portuguese fellow
and me... an American. (and I consider my French poor (B1/B2 at best), although I can hold a brief conversations)

Almost every English person in this building took French in school, not one of them can speak French with me. I know, I've tried to find people to practice with!

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4330 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 5 of 34
24 July 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
I'm going to guess the 19% of people in England who can hold a conversation in French ARE French.
:)

Good guess, but from my scan of the report that's not correct. Respondents were asked what their foreign (i.e., non-native) languages were. The second most popular response for the UK, was English. So I don't think French native speakers in England can count French as a response.

Have a look at page 23 here: http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_386_en.p df

Edited by patrickwilken on 24 July 2014 at 6:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

MarcoLeal
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 4631 days ago

58 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 6 of 34
24 July 2014 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
As a Portuguese I have a hard time believing the French conversation figures for
Portugal.

There's no way on Earth that the amount of People that can hold a conversation in
French (supposedly 15%) is so high, especially when compared to English (27%, which to
be honest seems kind of low, but I could be biased here).

Taking 2 or 3 years of French in middle school is pretty standard but it always has a
secondary status compared to English. Most people can't hold a conversation in French
even immediately after finishing these 3 years, let alone after more years have gone
by.

I live in Lisbon, which is the largest city and also the one that gets visited by
tourists the most. I am also 25 years old and college educated like the majority of my
friends or coworkers. Still, even in this context I can count on the fingers of one
hand
the amount of people that are capable of more than "Je m'appelle [insert name]".

Edited by MarcoLeal on 24 July 2014 at 6:56pm

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4814 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 7 of 34
24 July 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
I think french to be more popular in older generations of portugueses.

Edited by Michel1020 on 24 July 2014 at 7:17pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 34
24 July 2014 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Maybe immigrants also contribute to the French as second language stats in Portugal?

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version