United Kingdom
Joined 6046 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 1 of 4
25 July 2014 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Hello all,
    I have been looking at the Made Simple series of books. There appears to be different
versions of the book, mainly from the 1960s and 1990s, give or take a decade or so. I
know that the original series has almost identical dialogues no matter what the target
language. This of course has great advantages. I am therefore wondering if the most
recent series also has identical dialogues and passages etc. Any information would be
great thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4072 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 2 of 4
27 July 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
The recent German Made Simple revised by Leitner retains the old structure, on the whole.
If the parallel structure is what you concern, go ahead and study with them.

stmc2
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6046 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 3 of 4
28 July 2014 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the info Paco. It is good that the parallel structure has been kept. My main
interest is that all the books teach identical dialogues etc, no matter what the target
language. This means that when one book has been used fully, studying other languages
will be greatly facilitated.

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4072 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 4 of 4
28 July 2014 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
The dialogues are not identical, but largely similar. I could track down 5 languages:
German, French, Spanish, Italian and Russian.

I did not compare the language use closely so I cannot tell how dated the old editions
are and whether they are changed for the good in the recent editions, and to what extent
sentences are rearranged in a dialogue. The largest differences are the layouts; you can
preview the new ones in Amazon and old ones on Youtube:
Made Simple: Foreign Language Learning
Series Reviews

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version