Joined 4625 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 1 of 15
25 July 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I posted this link in another thread, but it probably deserves its own thread:

link to paper

"Second Language Processing Shows Increased Native-Like Neural Responses after Months of No Exposure"

Excerpt from the abstract:

Quote:

This event-related potential (ERP) study of an artificial language tested performance and neural processing
following a substantial period of no exposure. Adults learned to speak and comprehend the artificial language to
high proficiency with either explicit, classroom-like, or implicit, immersion-like training, and then underwent
several months of no exposure to the language. Surprisingly, proficiency did not decrease during this delay.
Instead, it remained unchanged, and there was an increase in native-like neural processing of syntax, as
evidenced by several ERP changes—including earlier, more reliable, and more left-lateralized anterior
negativities, and more robust P600s, in response to word-order violations. Moreover, both the explicitly and
implicitly trained groups showed increased native-like ERP patterns over the delay, indicating that such changes
can hold independently of L2 training type.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5753 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 2 of 15
25 July 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
This is very welcome news montmorency, muchas merci (or is that gracias beaucoup? - so hard to keep straight).

Whereas previously I was pretty sure I was just lazy and lacked commitment, it turns out I was slyly just facilitating "an increase in native-like neural processing of syntax" for French and Spanish by ignoring both for months and months.

I am feeling decidedly better about myself already!
5 persons have voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4814 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 15
25 July 2014 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
I posted this link in another thread, but it probably deserves its own thread:

To quote a former tennisman.
You can't be serious.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5396 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 4 of 15
25 July 2014 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Adults learned to speak and comprehend the artificial language to high proficiency

I would find it depressing to have learned a language (they invented Brocanto2 just for the experiment) to high proficiency (!!!) and nobody but some test buddies can speak it. Just a lot of rubbish to crowd your memory!

Edited by Cabaire on 25 July 2014 at 11:21pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5753 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 5 of 15
26 July 2014 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Quote:
Adults learned to speak and comprehend the artificial language
to high proficiency

I would find it depressing to have learned a language (they invented Brocanto2 just for
the experiment) to high proficiency (!!!) and nobody but some test buddies can speak
it. Just a lot of rubbish to crowd your memory!

That does sound depressing! But on further investigation, even more depressing may be
Brocanto2 itself.   I understand it is a modification of Brocanto, the chief
improvement being that Brocanto2 reduces Brocanto's lexicon from 14 items down to only
13 words (4 of which are words for abstract symbols, although maddeningly, even the
symbols have grammatical gender).

The language is described around page 130 of the attached version of the paper
paginated version of
paper

(edit: actually this appears to be a different paper than the one circulated in the
first post)

Even if the test bunnies had other fluent speakers to converse with, they would pretty
much be restricted to operating in a bleak, emotionless empty existence, devoid of art,
compassion or grand thoughts.   In other words, very similar to my own sorry existence;
and since, to be perfectly honest, 13 seems to be the upper limit of vocabulary I can
comfortably manage before losing interest and momentum with language study, it sounds
like the perfect language for me!   I've just added it to the list....

Edited by Spanky on 26 July 2014 at 7:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5396 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 6 of 15
26 July 2014 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
13 words!?! Toki pona now seems like a garrulous and verbose language full of fustian expressions in comparison (I hope nobody tells jan Soja this). I fear we will have to wait a long time for the first "Harry Potter" translation to Brocanto.

Edited by Cabaire on 26 July 2014 at 12:31am

3 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4241 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin

Message 7 of 15
26 July 2014 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Personally, I'd never leave a language for more than 6 months unless I have another that I am learning. I
started French a year ago. After about a month into French I decided to brush up my Mandarin. And
then 8 months later after watching hundreds of hours of Chinese TV programs, I've decided to go back
to French. Although I may be out of the country, I'd never let my mind go on vacation.

Nowadays with portable devices being so common I don't need to let 1 language go completely. On any
given night when I'm not learning French I'd be listing to a Mandarin radio program. A lot of my learning
materials has video & audio as well as subtitles / captions. I can make copies on my portable sound
device and take it along when I'm doing exercise or travelling somewhere on a bus or plane.

Even when I'm overseas, I can listen to a French program using somebody's Internet WiFi connection.
People who rely on phrase books may put them back on the shelf and not look at them for months. But
someone like myself who watches TV shows online more than a regular TV, I'm as likely to be tuned to
"America's Got Talent", "Britain's Got Talent" as the Chinese version 中国达人秀. Although my focus now
is French, close to my bedtime when I'm tired I would watch a Chinese program like "Beijing New
Discoveries" 北京新发现. The show is about the latest tech trends from the newest iPhones, shopping
online to paying your parking fees with your phone. I'm picking up new words & phrases all the time
through TV programs and learning isn't boring.

What I'm finding about language learning is like playing a piano. The first 6 months to 1 year is the
most crucial especially when you haven't picked up enough vocabulary to carry on a basic conversation.
If you get interrupted for any reason, restarting from the basics would discourage you from continuing
because you seemed to be not making any progress. Even when I'm busy, I'd find at least half-an-hour
in between when I'm travelling on public transport to listen to language materials on my portable audio
device. You can slow down after your learning gets to the level close to a native speaker.

Don't forget, the study was conducted with individuals who had taken an intensive immersion program
for 6 months before taking a break. If you are still trying to master the basic greetings like "Hello, how
are you"? "Bonjour, comment avez-vous"? "你好吗“? taking time off would not be a good idea. You need
to get to the point where your brain can "think" in a language at a high level.

Edited by shk00design on 26 July 2014 at 3:32am

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4746 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 8 of 15
26 July 2014 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
I apologize for my laziness (my excuse: I'm working on Chinese characters!), so I did not read the link, I will at some later point. I just wanted to comment.

So is the gravamen of the study the fact that it seems you can improve your fluency substantially (and better) by studying a language for a time (and I mean really study, i.e. immersion), then not studying for a few months, and then hitting it hard again? (because by definition, for "no exposure" period to prove effective, at some point one MUST return to the L2, otherwise no exposure turns to "lost exposure").

I'm interested in this for two reasons. First, I must admit in my years of study of German and French, I did notice that after studying the language for 6-8 weeks, and then taking a week or two off, when I returned to it things not only came back rather quickly, but I had the distinct feeling that I could "manipulate" the language better AFTER that break (and at a new "higher" level). Not only that, but things that did not click before in grammar or vocabulary suddenly "clicked" because I saw them in a new way, or something obvious manifested itself, even though I had done no research or exercises to improve my understanding whatever the problem issue was.

I would attribute the effects above to mostly rest and having a refreshed brain, and then also a little to a placebo of "going back" to a language and everything being much easier than the time before (because the time before was the first time I had learned it!). But who knows.

Now, for my second reason. I have been studying Chinese hard for the last three months, mainly review of things I have already studied plus learning 2000 characters so I can read Chinese. IN this time I have done almost no listening of French, German, or Portuguese, very little reading, and only spoken the languages two or three times for any period longer than 30 minutes.

My first chance of speaking a month into my "sabbatical", I was shocked at how fluent I was. I saw no decline in my abilities. The second time speaking this languages a month later, I did notice some erosion, but the problem is I think the sample was tainted as the events where I used the languages happened when I was on 72 hours without any sleep. So I was mumbling incoherent even in English.

My third time is coming up soon and I'm a bit nervous. I have no doubts I will be able to converse fairly well, but I think my accent is now definitely worse because of lack of auditive stimulus, or oral practice. Also, when I think in French and German I do notice now that things don't come up as easily, and that things I want to say and could say effortlessly in the spring now are harder to articulate, so I may sound more hesitant or frustrated when I speak.

My plan is to continue with this "no exposure" (and spend all my time on Chinese), until October. Then I will hit my L2-3-4 language HARD (one week each of listening all day, reading mountains of pages, doing a revision on pronunciation and practice with dialogues in the first week, a sort of "silent period", and then doing another week of written exercises and going out to speak as much as I can, "output").

I'm quite curious to see how much deterioration I will have by October, and how fast it all comes back, and if then I find it "easier" than when I stopped being active with the languages.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version