United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 13
01 August 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
@Tristano:

You said you have listened to BBC podcasts which is good.

I'd strongly suggest concentrating on BBC Radio 4 if formal British English is what you
want. Only a relatively small proportion of that output ends up as podcasts, so to get
a wider choice, I'd use the listen-on-deman service iPlayer, and I find the best way to
do this is to start with the schedules, which contain a link to the programmes for any
given day. Click on the link for information about the programme, and optionally click
on the "Listen now" icon to play it.Radio programmes are iPlayer-able usually for only
7 days, although there are exception

BBC Radio 4

It's not all RP / formal. You will hear regional accents as well, but there is quite a
large proportion of RP and fairly formal speech on there.

There is also the BBC World Service:

World Service

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 10 of 13
01 August 2014 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
If you want to take your English pronunciation to the next level, I recommend you spend some time examining your own Italian pronunciation. I firmly believe that in order to fully appreciate what English sounds are and aren't, you need to understand how they differ from the sounds of your first language.

This doesn't have to be a formal study of Italian phonetics and phonology, but you should definitely take the time to examine, introspectively, how you make the sounds of your language and, to a broader degree, how this differs from other Italian regional dialects or from how foreigners pronounce Italian. Try to understand and control how small variations in mouth movements cause small variations in sounds.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 13
02 August 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
And if you have time you could try to help an English native speaker to improve their accent in Italian.

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4176 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 12 of 13
03 August 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Pronunciation in my opinion is the hardest part , listen a lot , especially try to pay attention to the Rs , the
Os and the As , if you adjust those sounds , you will sound already a bit more british and less Italian or
american .

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3835 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 13 of 13
10 August 2014 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to everyone!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version