Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3847 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 15
31 July 2014 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Can I add my "two cents worth" here?

First, I agree that, particularly for a language somewhat removed from the Western European languages, such as Russian, beginning with Assimil alone would be quite a challenge. Hence, I fully support the idea of combining this with The New Penguin Russian Course. I would add to this list: an elementary Russian grammar and, perhaps, book of verbs.

Second, so as to truly "ease into" the very basics of the Russian language, beginners should consider Beginner's Russian with Interactive Online Workbook, which was developed by the UCLA and published by Hippocrene Books. All of the audio and video material, along with the interactive self-correcting exercises, are freely available online at the UCLA's website for Beginner's Russian. You can also purchase the book, at a lower price, directly from the UCLA via this same website. Given the low price of the textbook and the fact that the online material is freely available, one might be inclined to question the quality of the course. On the contrary, this is an EXCELLENT introduction to the basics of Russian!

Third, caveat emptor! Generally speaking, I am a steadfast supporter of the Pimsleur Method. However, having initially tried to learn the basics of Polish and Russian with their programmes of study, I came to the conclusion, regrettably, that a more convential approach is more effective for these languages.

Edited by Speakeasy on 31 July 2014 at 7:45pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

FromSpain
Diglot
Spain
Joined 3693 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 10 of 15
31 July 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
I really love the sound of the letter "Ы"
1 person has voted this message useful

FromSpain
Diglot
Spain
Joined 3693 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 11 of 15
31 July 2014 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Speakeasy wrote:
Can I add my "two cents worth" here?

First, I agree that, particularly for a language somewhat removed from the Western
European languages, such as Russian, beginning with Assimil alone would be quite a
challenge. Hence, I fully support the idea of combining this with The New Penguin
Russian Course. I would add to this list: an elementary Russian grammar and, perhaps,
book of verbs.

Second, so as to truly "ease into" the very basics of the Russian language, beginners
should consider Workbook/dp/0781812518/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406827453&sr= 8-
1&keywords=beginner%27s+russian+with+interactive+online+work book">Beginner's Russian
with Interactive Online Workbook
, which was developed by the UCLA and published
by Hippocrene Books. All of the audio and video material, along with the interactive
self-correcting exercises, are freely available online at the UCLA's website for
Beginner's Russian. You can
also purchase the book, at a lower price, directly from the UCLA via this same website.
Given the low price of the textbook and the fact that the online material is freely
available, one might be inclined to question the quality of the course. On the
contrary, this is an EXCELLENT introduction to the basics of Russian!

Third, caveat emptor! Generally speaking, I am a steadfast supporter of the Pimsleur
Method. However, having initially tried to learn the basics of Polish and Russian with
their programmes of study, I came to the conclusion, regrettably, that a more
convential approach is more effective for these languages.

Thank you very much!

FromSpain
Diglot
Spain
Joined 3693 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 12 of 15
02 August 2014 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
FromSpain wrote:
I really love the sound of the letter "Ы"

I like the sound of this letter. That was the first thing that drew my attention, but
I'm not able to pronounce it properly. This video is very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD-
u_lsJ-84

Edited by FromSpain on 02 August 2014 at 3:44am

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3637 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 15
02 August 2014 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Cool video: it didn't exist when I start to learn russsian.
I've used that one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PENBNTcUT70 ("y"+big smile)

There is also that one, that is interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpuarTwbBQ

Two different approaches: one starts from the sound "y" and the other starts from the sound "и".
Starting from the sound "y" is easier for beginners. Once you know how to do it and feel how to place the tongue, you can stop smiling and do it naturally like in the second video.

You're lucky because you don't have to learn to roll the R :)

Edited by Arnaud25 on 02 August 2014 at 8:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

FromSpain
Diglot
Spain
Joined 3693 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 14 of 15
02 August 2014 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Thank you! Those videos are pretty helpful too. Of course, I don't have problems when
pronouncing the letter "р" However, I had to learn to pronounce the French "R" when I
started learning French :)

FromSpain
Diglot
Spain
Joined 3693 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 15 of 15
06 August 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
This has been my first week studying Russian intensively. I'm a bit stressed... но я
очень люблю русский язык!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version