Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
25 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4856 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 25 of 25
05 August 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
I've done some pretty extreme wanderlust in the past, adding language after language and learning them to
various levels before starting another. Yes, it slows down the learning of each individual language, and it's
obviously the wrong choice if your goal is to really master your L2, but it can be a pathway to eventual fluency in
all of them:

-OP may be overestimating the amount of study it takes to maintain a language at B1-B2 level. If you stop
speaking Mandarin and studying it intensively, your spoken fluency will certainly decline. This will come back,
however, if you ever go back to intensive study or immersion. To stop your basic knowledge and vocabulary from
slowly fading away, all you really need is to do a few minutes of reading or listening every week or two. Almost
everyone who studies more than 5 languages is always doing this with at least some of their languages. I've
found my interest shifting among my languages, and when I resume one with new motivation, it is usually not far
from the level I had before.

-Stopping intensive study at B1-B2 level is not being "half finished" or "giving up." You may not have mastered
the language, but you speak it. It's now yours and with a little care it'll be yours forever to use.

-For an English speaker, Spanish is much easier to learn than Mandarin. You'll probably find yourself at least at
C1 level after the same study time. If you had to wait for your "difficult" languages to reach near-native level
before starting another language, it would be nigh on impossible to become a polyglot. I've started many "easier"
languages since I began studying Mandarin, and most of them have leapfrogged my Mandarin level. This
wanderlust has slowed my Mandarin down, but never stopped its steady improvement.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version