14 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3710 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 1 of 14
03 August 2014 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
First what is or are your favorite language(s)? Second, do you actually speak it(them?)
I have three languages that I love, Russian, Korean, and French. I know French, and am learning Russian. I want to learn Korean one day, but have pushed it to the back burner so I can shore up the languages I know.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4504 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 14
03 August 2014 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
It's always the one I'm learning right now. This is like asking a musician "what's the
best album you've ever written?" "The one I just released!".

Almost every language I speak or speak well has a place somewhere in my heart. Choosing
between them is like choosing between your children.

I will say that the Celtic languages are underrated and that I wish my Breton was better.
(But that is because I am listening to metal based on Celtic history right now).
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 14
03 August 2014 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I second tarvos. Asking you to chose between your languages is like asking which one of your children you
love more. I am most confident in English. I have the best accent in Spanish. And right now my head is filled
with Russian. At this very instance I would probably say Russian, but I could not live without English and
Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3896 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 4 of 14
03 August 2014 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
I have always felt a very strong connection to Old English, which strikes me as odd since despite a degree in archaeology and history I have no interest at all in the Anglo-Saxons. I doubt that I will ever study Old English, since the day I find the time there will be something else that I love that is simultaneously more useful.

Otherwise, Breton is my favourite language. I don't know if I'd say that I speak it. I'm getting there, but my reading, writing and listening are all significantly better at the moment. And while I'm reading and listening to native material it ranges from almost completely comprehensible to quite opaque, so fluency isn't particularly close.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6953 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 5 of 14
03 August 2014 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Hungarian, and I used to have basic fluency in it. It's now rather rusty but someday I'll get it back in order. Next question?

---

See the following for related banter:

- Favourite Aspect of a Language
- Your favorite language

holly heels
Groupie
United States
Joined 3683 days ago

47 posts - 107 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 14
04 August 2014 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
One of my 3 favorites is also on your list...Korean.

I love the graceful alphabet because it kind of reminds me of stone carvings set in stands of bamboo grass arranged in different ways.

It's also an Asian language spoken with a lot of oomph and I understand that if you listen to Korean and Turkish they both have exactly the same cadence so maybe Turkish is similar. I would like to try Korean in the future.

The other 2 languages I will likely never study--Hawaiian, because it always relaxes me, and Navajo, because I am from the Four Corners area and I remember sometimes I could hear people softly speaking it.

To me those languages represent the languages of all indigenous peoples and in the USA in the past many native children were sent to cruel boarding schools and had those languages beaten out of them but Navajo at least is still fairly strong.

Stolan
United States
Joined 3829 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 7 of 14
04 August 2014 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
I really love a native American language like Navajo...

I also feel fascinated by some Asian tonal languages too with extensive sandhi and numerous particles, and I'm
starting to get drawn to Arabic too.

You could say I equally respect and love every language across most of the world, from the heavily spoken
Cantonese to the minority Chinantec languages.

(To clarify, I am only referring to the native languages of these areas when I speak of "across most of the world" so it
would be something like Chukchi or Ket in Siberia (not Russian!))

Edited by Stolan on 05 August 2014 at 4:38am

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5059 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 8 of 14
04 August 2014 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Spanish- I speak Spanish, at some point, every day. Spanish has been my companion for a little over two decades. I've traveled extensively in both Latin America and Spain. I read, listen, write, watch TV and talk to my neighbors and business colleagues and clients in Spanish. I have no trouble expressing myself or understanding what I read or listen to in conversations, TV, radio or films. I've completed several online, non-translated university courses taught in the language.

Portuguese: I speak Portuguese some days during the week- online. I read, listen to and write it every day. I have no trouble listening to native audio or watching native TV series. Right now I'm watching a telenovela "Flor do Caribe" and two HBO series: "Preamar" and "O negócio". I have visited Brazil and Portugal. I enjoy all sorts of literature from comics to poetry and everything in between. I've completed two online university courses from the Fundação Getúlio Vargas taught in the language.

Haitian Creole: I can hold conversations and read quite a bit. I can understand the news and follow a lot of what I hear on the radio. I stopped at the equivalent of B-1 because there just isn't a lot of native media- literature, TV and films available that interest me. I probably speak it two or three times a month. That's what I enjoy the most.

Ladino: I can read Rashi script. I read the ladinokomunita forum regularly and a couple of online Ladino magazines. I listen to the Kol Israel Ladino newscast and RNE's weekly Ladino program often. There are no Ladino speakers here for me to talk to and few in the world today, for that matter. There's little modern media available. Still I enjoy leisurely learning about this fascinating Ladino-speaking culture and people through this unique language.

I don't watch much TV or read much in English. I either listen to Portuguese, Ladino or Haitian Creole podcasts or Spanish on the radio in the car. I can't remember the last time I read a novel in English.

Learning Spanish, Portuguese and Haitian Creole makes me a more complete citizen of the Americas and has opened up the Hispanophone, Lusophone and even the Haitian diaspora communities to me in a way that isn't possible as a monolingual. Favorites- all! Speaking and understanding another language is way cool, ¡chévere!, bem legal!

Edited by iguanamon on 04 August 2014 at 1:10am

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version