Chicken_Monster
United States
Joined 3584 days ago

26 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 17
06 August 2014 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
I am aware of many resources related to Spanish. However...

What is the best book(s), in your opinion, for TEACHING/LEARNING Spanish (as an English speaker)?
Preferably, the book(s) would start out at an elementary level and progress to an advanced level (in the
same volume or subsequent volumes). Online is okay too. With or without audio is okay (as I have other
sources to practice listening).

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 2 of 17
06 August 2014 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
It feels like you're asking the same question over and over again.

You can spend a decade researching the "best" resource, but you're much better just picking something and
getting started. The imperfect resource that you actually use is immeasurably better than the perfect resource
that you may never find.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Chicken_Monster
United States
Joined 3584 days ago

26 posts - 27 votes

Message 3 of 17
06 August 2014 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
It feels like you're asking the same question over and over again.

You can spend a decade researching the "best" resource, but you're much better just picking something
and
getting started. The imperfect resource that you actually use is immeasurably better than the perfect
resource
that you may never find.

I don't believe I am "asking the same question over and over" or spending an inordinate amount of time
researching, but maybe I am and forgot that I posted the same question a plethora of times . . . and/or
maybe I did not receive an adequate response thus far. I only have three grey cells. I intended this to be
a different question. Perhaps I was too subtle.

Oh, I have much more than started. I don't need a "perfect" resource (doubt it exists) -- I meant "best"
in a subjective sense and not an objective sense . . . and nothing is perfect. Use the word "favorite" if
you wish. I'm trying to differentiate between, for example, (1) a great REFERENCE (e.g., grammar) book;
and (2) a great book that actually TEACHES from close to square one (and may incorporate, for example,
grammar) . . . and is intended to be read from its genesis to conclusion. Do you see the difference? I
know books such as this exist. Maybe I did ask that multiple times and forgot . . .

Let me give you an example so that you understand. "A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish" is
by many considered to be the "best" (not perfect) Spanish grammar reference book. However, I am
advised there are other books that incorporate Spanish grammar AND teach you the language at the
same time; however, these books may not delve into all the minutia of the lauded former tome.

If I asked that question "over and over again" then I must be "hallucinating again."

2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 4 of 17
06 August 2014 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
I wasn't trying to be rude, just helpful.

You've started nine threads so far. Seven of them have been requests for suggestions for learning materials. From
that, I've assumed that you're looking for the "right" resource - a resource that honestly might not exist. I
apologize if I assumed wrong, but I only have what you've posted to go on.

Lots of people fall into the trap of looking for a golden resource or approach - myself included. When I first
started studying Spanish, I spent more time tweaking my study schedule than actually studying. Ha!

Anyway, my point was that there's a lot of good stuff out there, but what really matters is what you do with it.

I would recommend that you start a learning log - or look through some of the other logs on this site. There are
lots of Spanish learners on this board, and they're generally very supportive in one another's logs. Once someone
can see what you're using and how you're using it, they'll better be able to make suggestions specific to your
needs. I've gotten some great suggestions for resources in mine.

Buena suerte!
8 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5170 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 17
06 August 2014 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
ChickenMonster... I think you will get much better input from the forum members if you post a bit of your background, goals, likes/dislikes, study time, etc. Different things work for different people and different resources work well for different people.

And to answer your question, the best course books for teaching/learning Spanish are the Prisma series. Ask me a different day and I'll probably give you a different answer ;)

6 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5057 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 17
06 August 2014 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Chicken Monster, I think it's probably time to stop talking about learning Spanish and start actually learning Spanish. If you had started already with a couple of resources, even just a phrase book and Destinos, you'd be well on your way. There are no perfect resources, no "magic pill" out there. The magic happens when you start using what you've got available and what you have between your ears, along with desire, passion, consistency and persistence.

As James29 says, posting a little about yourself, background, what you want to acheive with Spanish, etc., will help us to help you better. I suggest starting a log with the first post doing just that. That will get you more help than posting about every possible resource/learning technique out there, here in the general forum.

Edited by iguanamon on 06 August 2014 at 2:14pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4463 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 7 of 17
06 August 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Platiquemos or Colloquial Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chicken_Monster
United States
Joined 3584 days ago

26 posts - 27 votes

Message 8 of 17
07 August 2014 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Hey guys. You folks have been really nice and I don't think anyone is rude. I study a bit almost every day.
Don't worry about me. I DO appreciate all the good feedback you folks have given me in other threads and
PMs. However, if I have more questions then I IMPLORE you to let me ask them. When you derail my thread
with this unrelated content then it may cause others to not answer. Also, it is a waste of time (yours and
mine). You don't have to respond if you don't have an answer for me. I think Stelle is about ready to give a
Power Point presentation with a bar graph regarding how many threads I have posted an in what
categories. Now that is time that could be used studying Spanish. I don't need folks doing stochastic
analyses on what I post. Now I am going to have to repost this question, which is important to me, at a
later date. Please only respond with pertinent answers. Again, thanks for the valuable responses you guys
have given me elsewhere. I am studying. Don't worry about me.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version