Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 90 of 118
27 April 2015 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Have you already watched 大耳朵图图?

No I haven't, but I've bookmarked it now! Grazie Mille! Merci Beaucoup! 非常感谢 !

:)
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 91 of 118
02 May 2015 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
OK! With signing up for the 6WC and some very good advice from smallwhite about the vocabulary and study methods she uses I've had the kick up the backside to get working!

One of the tips smallwhite gave, which really struck me as an epiphany, was to simply print out the characters in greyscale and trace over them. This is obvious, but it never occurred to me. Anyway I've put down all the single characters currently in my anki deck (until I got bored) and now have 6-7 pages of characters to write out.

For me writing them out seems to make them stick better, and also as the guy who started the Output Challenge, I really should be doing some output! Anyway I have a copy of my calligraphy spreadsheet here for download. If anyone else is interested. I made it excel so most people could open it. And just picking out and filling in the spreadsheet is a good exercise in memorisation of characters. I left the last three of the grid blank to do it freestyle. "Tracing over pre-printed words, and writing them out yourself, the former is 摹, the latter 临." <- smallwhite.

I'm planning on doing all of the "most common" characters this way, as well as the hanzi ANKI deck, so hopefully it will stick to my teflon brain.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5067 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 92 of 118
02 May 2015 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Anyway I have a copy of my calligraphy spreadsheet here for download. If anyone else is interested.

You seem very motivated :D

Chinese copy books usually go from top to bottom, then from right to left. That will give you more Wow's and envious stares when you write in cafes and libraries.

I noticed that "凊 please" on row 5 probably has the wrong radical. And that there's another "请 please" on row 24. And "佬 be old" should probably be "老". But please double check.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 93 of 118
02 May 2015 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Anyway I have a copy of my calligraphy spreadsheet here for download. If anyone else is interested.

You seem very motivated :D

Chinese copy books usually go from top to bottom, then from right to left. That will give you more Wow's and envious stares when you write in cafes and libraries.

I noticed that "凊 please" on row 5 probably has the wrong radical. And that there's another "请 please" on row 24. And "佬 be old" should probably be "老". But please double check.

Cool I'll correct those. Of course I put the spreadsheet up so others without so much spreadsheet experience could use it. Making it read top->bottom->right->left and still print multiple pages would require messing around with print ranges, and I honestly couldn't be bothered. After all we're looking for efficiency! :)

It is difficult for me to get the right characters always, because I'm taking most of them from a dodgy copy of a transcription of Pimsleur. But it will be very useful for when I start copying from the (HSK) 汉语水平考试 top X characters.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4203 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 94 of 118
02 May 2015 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
I have also discovered a very good beginners show on CCTV called
Growing Up With Chinese
which has a lot of interesting content, mostly targeted at teenagers, but I'm a teenager at heart, so it is ok.
(I'm 50 if your curious).

Looks like a good show for language learning after viewing the first episode on standard greetings. In real-life
situations I find 早上好 (zǎoshanghǎo) or if you are in Taiwan or Singapore you hear 早安 (zǎo'ān) or simply 早
used for good morning more common than you'd hear 你好 (nǐhǎo) or the more formal 您好 nínhǎo throughout
the day. The video was trying to demonstrate the various greetings. When you are at the checkout counter in a
store, you are more likely going to hear a more direct 十块 for $10 or a dollar amount you need to pay than
someone wasting time with the simple greeting 你好 for every customer in the queue. In a typical phone
conversation you don't always find people start with a greeting. They'd address each other more directly like
小明, 是小新 (Xiaoming, it's Xiaoxin). You passed by somebody you know very well, it's unlikely you are going
to exchange greetings 你好 to each other and keep on walking unless you are really in a rush. Instead you are
more likely going to hear people addressing each other by name or title (Mr. Chen 陈先生, grandfather 爷爷,
uncle 舅舅 sort of thing) and then a few sentences like 你去那儿 (where are you going)? If you get introduced
to someone the first time you are more likely to say 你好 because you don't know enough about the other
person to get into a conversation on specific topics.

Recently I started watching a program from Taiwan call 真相 Hold 得住. Each 1h episode talks about
interesting subjects mostly from history such as who built the Egyptian pyramids and the earth was once
visited by UFO aliens, the Nasca lines in Peru, etc. The other day picked up the Chinese term for Neanderthal
man 尼安德塔 (Ní'āndétǎ). The show has Chinese captions in Traditional characters but no English subtitles so
some people may find the dialogue a bit too advanced. I studied ancient history in school and get hooked
easily on these shows. There are already many similar shows in English from the BBC, Discovery and others
so hearing similar content in Chinese is just the matter of switching from 1 language to another.

Edited by shk00design on 05 May 2015 at 4:26pm

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5067 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 95 of 118
03 May 2015 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Making it read top->bottom->right->left and still print multiple pages would require messing around with print ranges, and I honestly couldn't be bothered.

I think they re-align the text instead.
Highlight cells.
Ctrl-1 (Format cells).
Alignment tab.
Orientation 90 degrees (turn the clock hand from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock).

But my Japanese copy sheets go from left to right, too ;p

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 96 of 118
05 May 2015 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
I didn't log my activities yesterday, so I'll give a quick and dirty update today. Because of the 6 week challenge I've put a lot of time into Mandarin this last week. I've been watching the CCTV beginner videos, and I've started to watch my "foodie" programs again. I've trimmed my anki deck down to only one set of cards, which is the set I built from Pimsleur transcriptions and recordings. I've also managed to create a dozen copy books as per smallwhites suggestion for using semi-transparent characters in Excel (although I use LibreOffice) and print them out.

The characters in the anki deck and the characters on the copy book are the same, so they are reinforcing each other as I use them. I'm seeing a lot of the same words and sentences from the Pimsleur tapes on the beginners Chinese on CCTV so they are also reinforcing each other.

In all it has been a very good week, although I need to dedicate some time to reading in Italian and French since the Super Challenge is in the final legs.

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version