Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mandarin: 2days,2weeks,2months,2years

  Tags: Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
118 messages over 15 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 14 15 Next >>
rdearman
Senior Member
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3545 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

 
 Message 17 of 118
07 September 2014 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
I've managed to rank #11 in the 6 week challenge, but struggling to get into the top 10! Those guys are dedicated.

I've completed the first season of Say It, a program from Singapore where they are teaching people English & Mandarin. I've started to watch Season II of Say It now, which seems to have just started in Singapore. So I think I'm going to be watching this on repeat.

Still working on Pimsleur which I am finding a struggle. Not because of the learning, but more just the unchanging monotony of it all. I was thinking about taking some of my time from the Super Challenge to begin work on the workbook and CD's which I bought, but I'm so far behind on the reading in the SC it isn't really worth it.

I've begun to recognize characters when I am watching the sub-titles on Say It, this is due to the Anki reviews. I've also got a lot more dedicated to listening and repeating pronunciation in the PinYin pronunciation chart. I've downloaded a chinesepod app which has the pinyin chart and I try to listen to a little bit each day, although it seems to crash a lot on me.

I'm still adding to my anki deck, but with the help of EMK I've slapped 5000 French headwords in as well. My reviews are running about 45 minutes to an hour each day to complete them all. But I'm not stressing about it

I need to spend some more time building up my anki deck from the pimsleur transcript. This takes a lot of time, but I'm now listening past my deck so I need to get some review in.

I have been thinking about using subs2srs to grok a movie in Mandarin. So if anyone has any recommendations for a movie in Mandarin which has an accurate sub-title file I can download please let me know.


1 person has voted this message useful



Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Senior Member
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 2453 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

 
 Message 18 of 118
07 September 2014 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
I've managed to rank #11 in the 6 week challenge, but struggling to get into the top 10! Those
guys are dedicated.

Me too! I'm usually anywhere between 11 and 13 - and you're usually right ahead or right behind me. Ha! Although
I just looked now, and you've pulled ahead of me by several hours, so I think you'll stay ahead of me from now on. I
can't even wrap my brain around 150+ hours of language learning! I figure some of the leaders must be taking
intensive language classes.

I'm enjoying your Mandarin updates, even though I'm never planning on learning myself. Keep on keeping on!
1 person has voted this message useful



rdearman
Senior Member
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3545 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

 
 Message 19 of 118
07 September 2014 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
rdearman wrote:
I've managed to rank #11 in the 6 week challenge, but struggling to get into the top 10! Those
guys are dedicated.

Me too! I'm usually anywhere between 11 and 13 - and you're usually right ahead or right behind me. Ha! Although I just looked now, and you've pulled ahead of me by several hours, so I think you'll stay ahead of me from now on. I can't even wrap my brain around 150+ hours of language learning! I figure some of the leaders must be taking intensive language classes.

I'm enjoying your Mandarin updates, even though I'm never planning on learning myself. Keep on keeping on!


I had the advantage yesterday of having at a lot of hours by myself to watch YouTube and the SayIt program so I did a big push forward, plus the 45 minutes of anki everyday. But 150+ hours in a few weeks is some serious full-time study! But I'm happy to have racked up 50+ hours. The problem is it has come at the cost of my French & Italian reading for the Super Challenge. Have to work on a better balance between the three languages.

I enjoy your logs too. I did learn a little Tagalog when I was in the Philippines but nothing you'd say in polite company. :)


1 person has voted this message useful



shk00design
Triglot
Senior Member
Canada
Joined 2753 days ago

747 posts - 1122 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

 
 Message 20 of 118
08 September 2014 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
A few days ago I came across a post on the Mormon 6-wk intensive language training program. Not every
young man in the group is assigned to a country where the people speak a foreign language. Even those
that got assigned to learn a new language, not everyone will succeed.

I went through 2 online videos. 1 man from the US learned to be fluent in Vietnamese. Another became
fluent in Mandarin serving the Chinese community in England and can tell the difference between the
Beijing and Taiwan accent.

The first 6 weeks is just a crash course on the basics like how to introduce yourself to the natives. It
would take at least 6 months to get comfortable having conversations in any language. They say part of
their success in acquiring languages come from God.
1 person has voted this message useful



rdearman
Senior Member
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3545 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

 
 Message 21 of 118
08 September 2014 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
A few days ago I came across a post on the Mormon 6-wk intensive language training program. Not every young man in the group is assigned to a country where the people speak a foreign language. Even those that got assigned to learn a new language, not everyone will succeed.

I went through 2 online videos. 1 man from the US learned to be fluent in Vietnamese. Another became fluent in Mandarin serving the Chinese community in England and can tell the difference between the Beijing and Taiwan accent.

The first 6 weeks is just a crash course on the basics like how to introduce yourself to the natives. It would take at least 6 months to get comfortable having conversations in any language. They say part of their success in acquiring languages come from God.


I thought about having Jesus as my co-pilot, but then thought; Why do I want a 1st century carpenter with no training in aerodynamics or navigation flying around? :)

I saw a blog post about the Mormon fellow who came to England and did the Mandarin course. Might have been the same guy. I liked the fact in the first two weeks they never said a word to him in English. One of the best "methods" I saw posted was a fellow who booked 3 months in Taiwan and scheduled 3 tutors per day, no English allowed, while studying and listening to course work for another 5 hours per day. Then interacting with people in Taiwan the rest of the time. This would be an enormous amount of immersion, but his point in the blog post was that immersion alone isn't why he learned, but because he had the tutors, the environment, the course work all lined up at the same time.

Unfortunately I don't have the time or the money for anything as sophisticated as that, but if I win the lottery ...

I was going to take a trip into London this weekend but didn't manage to do it. The Moon Festival is this week, and I wanted to buy some mooncakes (月饼). I was constructing a sentences for:

Do you sell mooncakes?
How much are the mooncakes?
Which mooncake do you recommend?

But I didn't make it this weekend, and looks like by the time I get into London the moon festival will be over with. 2014 Mid-Autumn Festival falls on September 8th. The holiday lasts from September 6th to 8th. So all the cakes will be gone and I will have to wait until next year. Drat! And Double Drat!

But shk00design if you have a link to that video of the Mormon learning Mandarin I'd be interested in seeing it.


1 person has voted this message useful



smallwhite
Pentaglot
Senior Member
Australia
Joined 3617 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

 
 Message 22 of 118
08 September 2014 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
中秋節快樂!

今天我跟我媽媽和她的朋友的兒子吃晚飯。
他的家人去了旅行,他一個人在家,所以我們 一起吃晚飯。
吃馬來西亞菜。
回家的時候看到月亮,很圓、很光。

冰箱中有一個月餅,我吃了一點點。

> I've managed to rank #11 in the 6 week challenge, but struggling to get into the top 10! Those guys are dedicated.

I'm one of those guys. I'm there because it annoys me extremely to encounter unknown words when I read, so I'm happy to cram vocabulary, especially now that I'm between jobs and have all day.
1 person has voted this message useful



rdearman
Senior Member
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3545 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

 
 Message 23 of 118
08 September 2014 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
中秋節快樂!

今天我跟我媽媽和她的朋友的兒子吃晚飯。
他的家人去了旅行,他一個人在家,所以我們 一起吃晚飯。
吃馬來西亞菜。
回家的時候看到月亮,很圓、很光。

冰箱中有一個月餅,我吃了一點點。

> I've managed to rank #11 in the 6 week challenge, but struggling to get into the top 10! Those guys are dedicated.

I'm one of those guys. I'm there because it annoys me extremely to encounter unknown words when I read, so I'm happy to cram vocabulary, especially now that I'm between jobs and have all day.


So you've given me a lot of words to cram! :D

Ah yes, that is one benefit of being between jobs, more time to do things for yourself. I do admire your dedication though. It can't be easy, and you're working hard. So props to you!

And a 中秋節快樂!to you too!
2 persons have voted this message useful



rdearman
Senior Member
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3545 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

 
 Message 24 of 118
11 September 2014 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
I've found a film made in Singapore in Mandarin, with French subtitles. This has made me so happy! I wondered if I could count the 90 minutes in French for the Super Challenge and Mandarin for the 6 Week Challenge? But I'll probably just watch it and not bother logging it against either challenge.

I'm happy because it means spending time learning French helps me to consume content in Mandarin, with I would otherwise be unable to do. Which makes me wonder about the future and if knowing Mandarin will help me do something which at this moment in time I'm unable to do. Proving once again that learning anything is a benefit and gives latent potential energy to you.


1 person has voted this message useful



This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.3281 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2020 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.