OwlPanda
United States
Joined 3116 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 25 of 26
10 February 2016 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
One of the earlier vocabulary sets I did for Vietnamese contained a bunch of basic
pairs of opposite adjectives, and I found it to be one of the easier lessons. I never
seem to have a problem with nóng (hot) or lạnh (cold). I think it helps that a lot of
these opposites have different tones, and the tones emphasize the difference in
meaning. In this case, nóng has a rising tone, and lạnh has a low, heavy tone. The
former almost feels like a dancing flame, while the latter feels like a block of ice.
That helps.

There aren't always contrasting tones to help. Giàu (rich) and nghèo (poor) have the
same tone. Sometimes, there will be pairs that have tones that aren't the same but
don't really contrast, like có lý (makes sense) and vô lý (no sense). So, really,
tones aren't a great guide. They're usually not.

Still, I think they help keep some of the confusion away, because once my mind
associates a certain tone with the meaning of the word I'm trying to learn, it's a
little hard to shake it.
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5907 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 26 of 26
11 February 2016 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I have a pair like this -- koi and usui, 濃い 薄い -- I remember the words okay, but I still get the characters confused every year or so.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version