redflag
Australia
Joined 3628 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 17 of 65
04 December 2014 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
This is so fantastic, I am very attracted to this group/s of languages also. I wish I had
the time to dive into this but I'll be following your progress closely.

I didn't see it mentioned here (apologies if I missed it), so I wonder if you have had a
look round the CelCAR (Center for Languages of the Central Asian Region) website?
http://iub.edu/~celcar/main.php

They have a bit of language learning material, like podcasts but I haven't listened to
them so can't vouch for quality.

Edited by redflag on 04 December 2014 at 1:57am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6942 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 18 of 65
04 December 2014 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Thanks.

I sorted the links from Indiana U by language as found them. CelCAR is basically Indiana U's site for any of its information and material for languages of Central Asia. There's a fair bit of stuff for Pashto and Tajiki but understandably I picked up the links to the Turkic languages only. The site also hosts its catalogue of textbooks and CD-ROMs - none of which are particularly cheap (I got the Uzbek textbook for beginners at a lower price via Bookfinder.com).

Things can change between now and next year. Maybe you'll find some time at some point in 2015 and join me/us in studying a bit about whichever Turkic language will be in focus at that time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 19 of 65
05 December 2014 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
For some reason I stopped watching this thread. Wonder what is wrong, since I posted here before.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with sequence A, because Turkish is coming quite close in my hitlist (it's either Indonesian or Turkish so it will happen somehow in 2015 or 2016 for sure). Therefore,I'm more comfortable with dealing with the half of the continuum which is the most distant from Turkish. Or maybe I can just wait and start at Uzbek? I have good resources for Uzbek. Azeri and Turkmen just feel too close (azeri specially).

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6942 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 20 of 65
05 December 2014 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
That's not a problem if you want to join whenever you wish. For better or worse, the sequences are quietly biased toward Turkish being near the beginning or end. Uzbek is not scheduled until the summer so on the plus side, you have about 7 more months to work on your current target languages.

I know that hrhenry and kanewai are also interested in Uzbek. Since the three of you are interested in this language, I on one hand don't mind fiddling with the order a little bit such that we'd start with Uzbek, before moving onto to Azeri and Turkmen. On the other hand, I rather liked arranging things in a geographical continuum that also reflects to a certain degree the Turkic linguistic continuum where neighbouring languages tend to be more similar to each other than languages that are separated by a greater distance.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 21 of 65
05 December 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Chung! It's really up to you. Your challenge, your rules, as they like to say over there. I just want to take part into the experiment from a more linguistical and resource-reviewing point of you and avoid bringing up worries about my own learning journey, like the Azeri-Turkish interference. But I really don't mind, starting with Uzbek would be good too but I also see a point in doing it as a continuous.

Sequence B would be optimal as I would work towards Turkish almost asymptotically, but I also share your concern about the having nothing more than a few resources in Russian.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5847 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 22 of 65
06 December 2014 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
I find this whole idea awesome. What's more, I also believe that this is the kind of initiative our forum needs: a challenge with a good - but flexible - structure and resources. Last but not least, "it has drawn the finest people" (Braveheart quote). :)

I've always wanted to take a peek at an agglutinative language. A Turkic one may very well fit that bill.

Furthermore, I'm currently reading Shadow of the Silk Road, by Colin Thubron. Peter Hopkirk's The Great Game awaits its turn in my shelf. Whetting my interest, so to speak.

However, as I don't want to lose my current focus (which is Sanskrit), I'll limit myself to an introductory course, for just one language (yet to be chosen).

That having been said, I've noticed that there's a couple of big(ger) ones absent from your list. I believe the case of Turkish is fully intentional, but what about Uyghur?

So, as I don't to be a wet blanket, I'll just share this set of resources for Uyghur. I've browsed through them briefly and, even though they are not all active, there's enough material to get your feet wet.

Regardless of your willingness to include this or that language (your challenge, your rules), I'll be following this thread with great interest. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Luso on 06 December 2014 at 2:55pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4558 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 23 of 65
06 December 2014 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Chung did mention that Uyghur is omitted due to its close relative Uzbek having much more freely available resources in English. The resources you linked to look very interesting though, especially those in Japanese :) In fact this is tempting me to replace Uzbek with Uyghur in my personal sequence. Thanks!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5847 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 24 of 65
06 December 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
You're welcome, vonPeterhof. :)

And I'm sorry, I really should have searched for "Uyghur" before having written my post. I've found the piece you refer to.

When I was looking for mutual intelligibility between the Turkic languages, I came across this article. It has the advantage of presenting percentages, controversial as they may be. I can't assess its degree of accuracy, but I'd rather have a ballpark figure than just a vague notion. There's also a lot of external links, sources, etc. One caveat: after 10 minutes, you're going to have 10 pages open in your browser. Wanderlust alert!

Coming back to our sheep (as the French would say), there are other relevant factors, such as the languages the resources are in, as well as the alphabet the target language traditionally uses. For instance, Uzbek uses Cyrillic but is transitioning to Latin, whereas Uyghur has its own modified Arabic version. And it seems these realities are dynamic, so beware. As much as I agree with kanewai's assertion that it's time to learn Cyrillic, toggling between scripts can cool off more than one enthusiast.

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version