Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 25 of 65
10 December 2014 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
I've read that blog post before and while it's interesting, I have some doubts about its quality / validity. In a way I hope that a few outsiders who actually bother to study several Turkic languages in succession can get a better perspective on the degree of overlap between the languages as opposed to throwing out numbers based on hearsay or trying to make conclusions by reading about the languages as described in English Wikipedia.

As I've been browsing some of the Azeri material, I'm starting to wonder if it'd be worthwhile to allow for a choice between Turkish and Azeri for the first language of the challenge (or I could just put Turkish aside while studying Azeri). Azeri is so similar to Turkish that I'm getting some doubts over my ability in keeping the languages distinct.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5842 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 26 of 65
11 December 2014 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Regarding the blog post, I said I could not assess its level of accuracy. I'm in no position to discuss these subtleties, moreover on a politically laden subject. You said you found it "interesting", and that was my point from the beginning.

As for your choice between Azeri and Turkish, I have a confession to make: I was thinking of studying a bit of Turkish (for credibility purposes) and perhaps dabble in a little Uyghur (for wanderlust purposes). The latter could change. Anyway, neither of those two was in your planning so far, but I didn't deem it important. I just want to participate.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 27 of 65
11 December 2014 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't mind starting with Turkish, really. That would just mean anticipation of my plans (even if as a matter of fact I was more tendencious to start either Italian or Indonesian). Other than that, my priority is avoiding Azeri at this stage - even if that goes against my Caucasia background.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 28 of 65
11 December 2014 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
I was planning on refreshing my Turkish around that time anyway, so it would totally
work for me if the first set is "Turkish/Azeri." Also, in a nice piece of
synchronicity, Duolingo moved up their beta release date for Turkish ... to tomorrow!

(edit: oops. December 20 is not tomorrow. Or not yet. Maybe it will be tomorrow when you read this, unless it's already yesterday).

Turkish Incubator

I've been playing around with the Headstart2 pages, and it looks like a nice resource.
There's an app on iTunes for it also, but I haven't been able to successfully download
it to my pad.

I'll be joining you all on & off - I'm still hoping to do a Silk Road trip in 2016,
but don't have the route worked out yet. I'll definitely be needing Turkish and
Uzbek; I'll decide on Kazakh and Kyrgyz later on.

Edited by kanewai on 12 December 2014 at 8:50pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 29 of 65
12 December 2014 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Based on the preceding comments, I've changed the rules so that participants may study Turkish instead of Azeri despite the original intent of the challenge and my inclination to champion lesser-known languages. On a related note, I genuinely would have liked to add Uyghur considering that outside access to northwestern China where it's spoken natively is spotty. I reiterate though that the dearth of suitable learning material that's legally available for free compared to Uzbek largely explains its omission.

I've added a short list of learning material for Turkish under the Oghuz subsection of the original post. The list is not exhaustive but what's there is more than enough for anyone wishing to start learning that language or dabble in it for about 3 months.

I'm going ahead with Azeri and if necessary will scale back my Turkish studies while studying the former if the mutual interference becomes unmanageable.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 30 of 65
12 December 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Is there a specific resource you'd advise, Chung? As you may know, I may have access to severla commercial resources out there, including the ones I usually work with: Assimil, pod101. Should we stick with the freely available online ones, like FSI/DLI? (I'd rather use a more graphically-friendly one) Anyway, like I wrote in my log, I want those months to be a period of familiarization with the language so I can restart it later in due time as a false beginner, being familiarized with the grammar notions (and I will keep working on this goal with the other languages of the group indeed).

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 31 of 65
12 December 2014 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
In keeping with the exceptional tone for Turkish there won't be a common set of material. You can use any course that suits you even if it means you'll stick with something commercial. I've been studying it for a while, and don't want to take time away unduly from my current set of material ("Elementary Turkish" and "Turkish Self-Study Course I") since I have yet to finish working through them. I'd be turned off the language by forcing myself to restart now as if I hadn't studied it before.

If we were all newcomers to Turkish without too much confidence in continuing our studies after 3 months, I would have suggested Headstart2 or “I'm learning Turkish” as the common material.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5842 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 32 of 65
13 December 2014 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
I've pretty much locked myself up as the leader of the Yürükler into 2016 but am much less certain about what to do with *jäŋe / *ledús, let alone the others. At best, I think that the Turkic challenge could turn Yürükler into something like Team Rare where the veterans are rookies in almost all (if not all) of the languages involved but the genuine interest and discipline expressed will help to build some kind of team spirit. In any case, I'll still hold the reins lightly apart from sticking to the time lines for the languages.

Does this mean that you're planning to include the Turkic Challenge into TAC?

Edited by Luso on 13 December 2014 at 8:32pm

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version