Joined 5841 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 41 of 65
17 December 2014 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Expugnator wrote:
I must say I'm a bit nervous as if an awaited branch of mankind's knowledge is opening up.

I can relate to the feeling of having my mind expanded or embarking on a new intellectual/academic path.

This is a bit revolutionary for me too: not only am I about to enter a whole new family of languages, I'm also doing it with a language learning program (I'm going to use FSI).
1 person has voted this message useful

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5421 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 42 of 65
17 December 2014 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
If this is now the Turkic language team thread, could I also be added to the list? I was
going to start learning Turkish as of January but since you guys are already starting, I
might as well start too.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 43 of 65
17 December 2014 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Done.

After getting a PM yesterday, I'll clarify one area.

Even though the challenge is set up so that one is to stop studying a language after a certain day, this becomes important mainly if one is planning to study several languages (especially consecutively). For example, vonPeterhof and I are studying Azeri right now, and we may continue studying Azeri outside the challenge after March 31, 2015 if the language will have grown on us. The problem could be when we move onto the next language, Turkmen. Given the limited free time that we have, it may be difficult for us to manage an ever growing list of languages (at its most extreme, I could be studying by Oct. 2016, 9 Turkic languages plus Chuvash which is scheduled for that time). In my case, I'm not confident in being able to manage Azeri and Turkmen on top of Finnish, Polish, Slovak and Turkish. The challenge does require discipline. Not only is it with the target language at hand, but also with wanderlust or sticking to a schedule while respecting the limits on your time.

For those of you who are starting with Turkish and plan to do at least one more language as part of the challenge (Uzbek is quite popular), you may continue to study Turkish, but as of July 1, 2015, you need to be getting Uzbek going (if applicable and using at minimum the common learning material) in addition to Turkish or any other language you'll be studying then.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 44 of 65
17 December 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I want to stick to the plan and do one language after the other, only one Turkic language at a time, so, after Turkish comes Turkmen then Uzbek for me.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 45 of 65
18 December 2014 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Harika, Expugnator Bey.

I'm not complaining but didn't you post though that Turkmen was too close to Turkish for your liking? (although it's not as close as Azeri)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 46 of 65
18 December 2014 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I remember now, but that was before I was learning Turkish. To my experience, it seems the older languages interfere with the newer ones. For example, my Norwegian interferes a lot with my German, but almost nothing the other way round. Since Turkish is my focus language, I'd have a lot of Azeri or Turkmen interference. But now that I'm doing Turkish first, it doesn't really matter that much because Turkish will be the first one that comes to my mind.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5129 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 47 of 65
30 December 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to join the Turkic challenge too, although I'm currently only planning to study
Kazakh and Krygyz from the list.

My reasons for my choices are a planned trip to Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Tajikstan and
possibly Uzbekistan (depending on VISA requirements).

So for 2015 I'll only be joining you for the last few months.

I'll also be a keen observer of the first 3 stages of the challenge.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 48 of 65
30 December 2014 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Great.

I've updated the roster in the first post.

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version