Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 33 of 65
13 December 2014 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
On second thought I'm not sure if we need to be classified as part of a team. It initially came to mind because of inertia but the Turkic challenge will stretch over two years and so it could be part of TAC 2016.

Either way, I'm OK with maintaining Yürükler since figuratively we'll all be wandering to varying degrees in the Eurasian steppes and it adds a bit of a sense of community even if it's just through the ether. Perhaps newer members may take interest in seeing others exploring obscure languages and even get motivated enough to break out of the well-worn path with target languages from FIGS or from the UN's six official languages in the not-too-distant future.

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 34 of 65
13 December 2014 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
I think this challenge is better kept outside of the TAC as a different philosophy is
taking place.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 35 of 65
14 December 2014 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
I see your point since this challenge isn't about participants studying intensively to "annihilate" anything over the next year. However seeing that this thread has already developed nicely, we'll use it as the new thread for Yürükler. I'm adding the roster and a preamble similar to a TAC-team's in the first post.

Whatever the case, remember that tomorrow is the first start date for the challenge. Azeri or Turkish: you know the rules.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4532 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 36 of 65
16 December 2014 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

The team's song is Домбыра
Just noticed that you added this here. I had actually just discovered this song a couple of days ago. A recording was linked by the Twitter account of Nogay FM, a Nogai Internet radio station. Most of their tweets are in Russian, but they do have some interesting Nogay content from time to time, and I can understand it a bit better than Russia's other indigenous Turkic languages due to both Nogai and Kazakh belonging to the Kipchak-Nogay subbranch.

Anyway, I found a resource some might find useful. Many Russian learners of languages are familiar with the Ilya Frank method. It's a reading method organised around specially structured bilingual texts. In each short passage the sentences are broken up into small chunks, each of which is followed by translations (often two of them, word-for-word one and a natural one) and possibly explanations and commentary in brackets. The passage is reproduced in its original explanation-free form in the end, so that the readers can reread it on their own and see if there's still something they're not sure about. Books written in this method are available both in paper and e-book form.

Unfortunately, the English version of Frank's website doesn't have materials for Turkic languages yet, but the Russian one has a nice selection.

Turkish - seven e-books for sale with prices ranging between 50 and 150 roubles, which is a real bargain for y'all outside Russia right now with the rouble going down the drain (if your Russian is good enough to figure out the site's online buying system). Six of the books are marked "for beginners" and one is also supposed to have audio. There are also free sample passages of most of the books available in .doc and/or .pdf.

Azerbaijani - a short beginner's book of folk tales available to download for free(!) in four formats.

Tatar - one beginner's book for free and two more for 100 roubles each, both with free samples.

Kazakh and Uzbek - unfortunately full texts for these languages haven't been published yet, but there are previews for both.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 16 December 2014 at 8:52pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 37 of 65
16 December 2014 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Started Turkish. I'm going to use the book Le turc tout de suite, because it will allow me for a more relaxed, less linear approach to the language. My goal is to perceive the rules within that encompass the language by myself, making the odd remark when I have doubts (the book does have instructions on grammar, but nothing extensive). I must say I'm a bit nervous as if an awaited branch of mankind's knowledge is opening up.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4532 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 38 of 65
16 December 2014 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Oh, I guess I should have mentioned my own status. I've started Azerbaijani with the Peace Corps course. I'm also continuing my more passive Turkish studies by reading one of the Ilya Frank texts, as well as the reanimation of my Kazakh using the textbook Казахский язык для всех by Бектурова А.Ш. and Бектуров Ш.К. As of now I'm planning to dabble in all the listed languages, with the addition of Uyghur. Instead of replacing Uzbek with it I decided to take it up in the period scheduled for Kazakh, since I'll be doing Kazakh alongside the other languages anyway.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 39 of 65
16 December 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
Chung wrote:
The team's song is Домбыра

Just noticed that you added this here. I had actually just discovered this song a couple of days ago. A recording was linked by the Twitter account of Nogay FM, a Nogai Internet radio station. Most of their tweets are in Russian, but they do have some interesting Nogay content from time to time, and I can understand it a bit better than Russia's other indigenous Turkic languages due to both Nogai and Kazakh belonging to the Kipchak-Nogay subbranch.

I've had that song in my main playlist after stumbling upon it earlier this year.

There're also translations of the lyrics in several Turkic languages, English, and Russian. They're quite interesting for me although I wonder just a little bit about the Uzbek translation since it resembles the original lyrics more than I would have expected.

I'll see if I'll be able to use any of Frank's texts. At this point, I'd be content just to get some understanding of the structure of these several languages.

Expugnator wrote:
I must say I'm a bit nervous as if an awaited branch of mankind's knowledge is opening up.

I can relate to the feeling of having my mind expanded or embarking on a new intellectual/academic path. As much as Azeri is so far very similar to me because of what I've already learned in Turkish, I'm starting to get hints of may be ahead even after just the first three lessons of the Peace Corps' primer for Azeri (e.g. Turkish iyi “good”, Azeri yaxşı “good” (cf. Kazakh жақсы, Uzbek yaxshi); Turkish öğretmen “teacher”, Azeri müəllim (cf. Kazakh мұғалім, Uzbek muallim)

redflag
Australia
Joined 3602 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 40 of 65
16 December 2014 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
For Turkish, may I recommend the Cleverdeck app if you have an iPhone (I don't believe
there is an Android version yet). It's a flashcard SRS app and I'm nearly finished the
3000 words of the French version. It's not free (the cost is reasonably though IMO) and
not as customisable as Anki but it's very user-friendly and requires no fiddling to set
it up.

I'm thinking of using it plus Duolingo to dabble in the New Year.

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version