France
Joined 3539 days ago

8 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: French*
Studies: English

Message 1 of 12
13 August 2014 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
Hello !

I'm 23 years old, I'm French, I live in Brittany and I learn English for many years, but I'm really bad (mostly I understand written English, and it's all...). I hope this forum will be good for me, to improve my level of English and to discuss in this language. A level B2 or C1 (a dream), it would be perfect ! I use the books "40 leçons pour parler anglais" and "Les 1000 mots indispensables en anglais". I use also Internet (duolinguo, lyricstraining, Englishcentral...) and sometimes I watch movies and TV shows.
I learn German for five years at school, but it's a disaster. "Guten Tag", "auf Wiedersehen", "ich liebe dich", "es tut mir leid" : it's all I'm able to say. Howewer, I think it's a beautiful language, but too difficult for me.

What else ? I love my mother tongue, so if you search someone to communicate with you in french, I'm here ! I can speak gallo, a regional "language" (dialect ?) of Brittany (with the breton, who is splendid : listen for example "Gortoz an ran" with Denez Prigent in youtube).

If one day I speak English, I wanted to learn Italian or Spanish.

See you later !
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 12
17 August 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Writing here will certainly be a good way to train your active English skills.

We have a couple of members who study Breton and who almost certainly would love to have some response in that language (see the team thread of the Celtic tag team in the log area or the member list in the umbrella thread. There are also two French teams, and besides French is a common target language here, so check the log area (and maybe make a log thread yourself for your English project)

Edited by Iversen on 17 August 2014 at 7:16pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Milla
France
Joined 3539 days ago

8 posts - 17 votes

Message 3 of 12
18 August 2014 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your links and your encouragements.
When I see your profile, I think "If he is able to speak 12 languages and more, I can speak English". It's good for my motivation !

P.S. in french : je suis toujours impressionnée par les gens qui apprennent le français ! C'est une langue splendide et rattachée à une culture très riche, mais elle m'apparait comme plutôt difficile, avec ses petits détails et ses exceptions (nous dirons que c'est ce qui fait son charme).
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 12
18 August 2014 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum Milla! If you are really interested in languages, then be prepared to get addicted :-)

And my Russian teacher claims French is more difficult than Russian, so you may have a point there.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5126 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 5 of 12
18 August 2014 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
There exists no language that is easy to speak or write well.

There may be languages comparatively easier for the beginning student, but that is another matter.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3880 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 6 of 12
19 August 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Welcome Milla! How cool that you speak Gallo! I don't often come into contact with Gallo, but when I do it's (unfortunately) almost exclusively written Gallo from some Breton news outlet. I love to try to read those articles. It reminds me of reading Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in 11th grade - it looks foreign, but when you sound it out it starts making a lot of sense. It depends a lot on the article, though. Maybe some people speak a more "French" Gallo than others.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 12
19 August 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Oohhh, someone from Brittany! We definitely need those! Vous êtes certainement la
bienvenue !

Glad to see you speak Gallo, someone has to keep the fire burning...

Milla
France
Joined 3539 days ago

8 posts - 17 votes

Message 8 of 12
21 August 2014 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Thanks all :)

I have studied gallo for one year but I grew up in a little town near Loudéac (Loudia, in gallo) where seniors speak gallo or, to be more exact, use expressions in (on ? at ?) gallo. And the local newspaper has a section dedicated to this language.
But for many people, it's not a "true language", just a "patois", and... I have a bit the same point of view. I love French, and for me and my ears, in gallo, there are expressions who are "bad French". I know it's not true, but it's my feeling. Howewer I like to read tales in gallo... Paradox ^^.

eyðimörk, I agree with your last sentence ! And sometimes I don't understand, especially when people use the "graphie" (script ?) ELG.

tarvos : merci, c'est gentil ! I learned a new phrase in English with your message (someone has to keep the fire burning).
Je ne sais pas pourquoi mais les Bretons semblent avoir une bonne image à l'étranger (pas les Français, par contre... ça compense) :)

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version