Mexico
Joined 5441 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 6
14 August 2014 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

Has anyone made a comparison between the old and new versions of these Assimil courses?
Both versions are written by the same authors so I wonder if it is like French and New
French with ease where the Author just added 13 lessons to the old version or if they
are completely different books.

The German course added lessons and the Italien one saw a reduction so that increases
confusion. I should start those books soon and I want to know what would be the better
option.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3637 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 6
14 August 2014 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
They are different and have been completly rewritten.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3847 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 6
15 August 2014 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
I have the following editions of PERFECTIONNEMENT ALLEMAND:
   Published 1991
   Published 2012
As kerateo noted, both are authored by Volker Eismann. As Arnaud25 reported, the two editions are completely different. Even the voices on the audio recordings are different. For anyone seriously interested in studying German, I would highly recommend buying both editions: same excellent method, yet two different courses!

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4072 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 4 of 6
15 August 2014 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
A common feature of the NEW Perfectionnement collection is the number of lessons. All courses - English, German, Italian, Russian and Arabic - have exactly 70 lessons.
(Assimil has not put out a new one for Spanish yet, and I do not believe they have ever updated their French course, which, incidentally (perhaps not), has 70 lessons as well.)

As for the quality, I do not have any of them so let's see if someone is putting up
reviews. By the way, the case of New French with Ease is not representative. It seems
to be the only one to have added lessons. Most if not all of the courses of other
languages are replaced by new ones. Besides, the number of lessons is not an accurate
indicator of quality. Fewer lessons might imply less content of a given book, but more
often it means longer lessons.

On a side note, the company seems to be standardising the number of lessons of the Sans
Peine collection too. As far as I know all recent books have 100 lessons.

Edited by Paco on 15 August 2014 at 7:59pm

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5441 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 5 of 6
15 August 2014 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Speakeasy wrote:
I have the following editions of PERFECTIONNEMENT ALLEMAND:
   Published 1991
   Published 2012
As kerateo noted, both are authored by Volker Eismann. As Arnaud25 reported, the two
editions are completely different. Even the voices on the audio recordings are
different. For anyone seriously interested in studying German, I would highly recommend
buying both editions: same excellent method, yet two different courses!

Thanks for the info!, I do like to study different generaritions of Assimil but I've
never done it with the advanced courses. Did you do it? how far did they take you?

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3847 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 6 of 6
15 August 2014 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi kerateo,
You asked a simple question. Unfortunately, for me, the answer is not so simple. In my answer to your question “how far did they take you?”, please note that I used the two editions of “Assimil Perfectionnement Allemand” as PART OF my personal self-study programme. These materials made a valuable contribution to my progress, but I cannot isolate the specific effect that they had.

Edited by Speakeasy on 17 August 2014 at 6:36am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version