United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 9
16 August 2014 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
A while back, Serpent and sctroyenne showed how to use Twitter for language learning, and provided lots of links. I'd like to do the same thing for Tumblr.

Tumblr is a cross between a blogging service and a social network. It's optimized for three things:

1. Blogging media, links and quotes. Tumblr makes it very easy to post YouTube videos, photos, quotes and links to other sites. These are all made available as a normal blog with RSS support, custom themes, and everything else you'd expect. Basically, Tumblr is optimized for sharing things that you find around the web. But unlike Twitter, you have more space: you can include a set of 3 or 4 photos, or a longer quote, or the lyrics for a YouTube video.

Interestingly, Tumblr make it super easy to create multiple blogs for special purposes. Want to create one blog for French, and another for Russian? It only requires a few clicks. And Tumblr also has a queue, which allows you to prepare a bunch of posts at once and then let them trickle out at a rate you control.

2. Reading things that other people have blogged. Tumblr allows you to subscribe to other people's Tumblrs, and read them in a feed, either in your web browser or on your phone.

3. "Reblogging" cool stuff that you've read. This is really the heart of Tumblr: When somebody posts something cool, you can "reblog" it to your own feed with a few clicks. This makes Tumblr ideally suited for sharing cool things that you find.

Finding Tumblrs. To find more more cool Tumblrs in your target language:

1. Sign up for Tumblr here.
2. Make sure you've set your account to use your target language here.
3. Go here and browse the right-hand sidebar for links to Tumblrs in your target language. There's a decent amount in French.

My French Tumblr. To give you a practical example, here's my Tumblr blog:

Tout ce qui m'amuse

To show off what Tumblr is good for, I've queued up an entire month of interesting things. If you subscribe to my blog using either Tumblr or RSS, you'll see two posts a day, every day, for the next month, including:

- YouTube videos in French, including génériques for TV series, an occasional legal episode, music videos and comedy videos.
- Random quotations.
- Pictures of France and Montréal.
- Links to cool BDs, books and articles.
- Anything else which strikes my fancy.

If anybody else has a Tumblr, or knows of existing Tumblrs that might interest the HTLAL community, please feel free to post them here. And if you want to go ahead and create a new Tumblr full of cool resources in your target language, I definitely would love to hear about it!

Edited by emk on 16 August 2014 at 10:08pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4615 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 2 of 9
16 August 2014 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Interesting idea emk.

As a matter of interest, why is your tumblr blog called ....srscollector.com and not
.....tumblr.com ?

Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 9
16 August 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
As a matter of interest, why is your tumblr blog called ....srscollector.com and not
.....tumblr.com ?

Because I configured it to use a custom domain, in case I want to switch to other blogging software later.

Here are some more fun Tumblers for people learning French:

Humans . faces (street interviews)
les sous-titres de la honte (horribly translated subtitles, found by scrtroyenne)[/url]
AU PETIT COMMERCE (short poems about closed small business, with photos and puns)
Proverbs et citations (random quotes over images)
Pochiyo (quotes, but beware of music on the blog page)
Débris et Rêves (more quotes)
Les mots que j'aurais aimé écrire (still more quotes, these from books)
Le français et vous (ideas from a French teacher)

Anyway, that should be enough to get people started. :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 9
16 August 2014 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
I can't offer anything truly impressive, but here are my tags for languages, language learning and suomi (mostly NOT in Finnish though).

In general, tags are a great way to discover new content. You can access them through the search bar, but for example this is the tag for español (diacritics don't matter). Just replace it with your target language and you'll find cool stuff. Obviously not everyone tags their content according to its language, and I suppose it's done more commonly by those who post in more than one language, but that's a good starting point. You can find some other tags to follow (love, funny, weekend, nature, books) - if something that is supposed to return many hits actually doesn't, see if there's an alternative, more simple wording.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 5 of 9
17 August 2014 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
It's been ages since I used Tumblr but your suggestions inspired me to make a new one: Vocab du jour which will have selections from my collection of vocabulary (collected with your SRS Collector!). I set it so that other people can submit (hopefully that won't be abused...) so feel free!

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 9
17 August 2014 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
It's been ages since I used Tumblr but your suggestions inspired me to make a new one: Vocab du jour which will have selections from my collection of vocabulary (collected with your SRS Collector!). I set it so that other people can submit (hopefully that won't be abused...) so feel free!

Very cool! I submitted a few vocabulary words from my Anki deck, though they might be a little too obscure.

For those who would like wildly incorrect—and frequently vulgar—language learning "help", there's also Microsoft Paint French Lessons. But I like your version better. :-)

Serpent wrote:
In general, tags are a great way to discover new content. You can access them through the search bar, but for example this is the tag for español (diacritics don't matter).

Here are some tags for French:

French: français
Quotes: citation-du-jour citation citations
Video games: jeux-vidéo
News: actualité actualités

…and so on. One thing I've noticed about Tumblr is that it's worth subscribing to a large number of blogs, and then pruning the annoying ones later in the reader.

EDIT: More:

Bonjour French! (basic vocabulary and idioms explained)

Edited by emk on 17 August 2014 at 5:02pm

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4994 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 9
18 August 2014 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Good idea, I'd never thought of it, I suppose I've never taken Tumblr seriously mainly because of the (stereo)typical type of person who tends to use it, so I hand't considered it for language learning. It's a shame I'm not working on French any more as these links look great, but maybe it's also popular in other countries. If I find a bit of time I'll see what I can find and maybe make a similar one for Italian.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 9
18 August 2014 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Good idea, I'd never thought of it, I suppose I've never taken Tumblr seriously mainly because of the (stereo)typical type of person who tends to use it, so I hand't considered it for language learning.

The stereotypical Tumblr user, as far as I can tell, is both young and interested in sharing and discussing cool media. A certain kind of language learner relies heavily on native media. There's enough overlap to keep people amused here. :-)

If anybody is interested in discussing food and nutrition in French, then you might be interested in this post that showed up in my Tumbler this morning. It's a series of 7 articles about food, and it contains lots of useful vocabulary.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version