Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 14
17 August 2014 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
I may have a few days off in September/October and I am undecided as to where to go. My main three
options are

1. A country where I am fluent in the local language, where it is nice and warm, where I can stay for free with
friends that I am really fond of, where it is really easy to go to (Euro, no visa requirements, cheap tickets) and
where one of my friends is getting so old that I should hurry and see her before she passes away.

2. A country which is really cold, where one of my target languages is an official language, and the other one
is incomprehensible, where I know no one and will have to stay at a hotel, where the visa requirements are
really complicated, the flights are long and cumbersome and involve staying over night at an airport for 4-7
hours in the middle of the night or arrive at 4 in the morning, I have no idea what the currency is and I will
have to spend my tax refund, that I had intended to make a down payment on my mortgage with, in order to
pay for the trip. But which I have dreamed about going to for years. And which is really, really off the beaten
track.

3. A country which is of no interest to me linguistically, but where I have family and friends I would like to see,
(included a 96 year old relative who I have promised to visit before she passes away)   and where at least
one of the cities I would like to go to have fabulous beaches and fantastic temperatures. It is fairly easy to get
to, and has a very familiar culture. Plus I have not been there for more than 20 years.

What would you do?

1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 14
17 August 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Given the time constraint of the 96 year old relative, I would go there. Mainly because I would regret my trip to anywhere else if they died before I saw them. The others will be there next year.

Edit:

Just saw an elderly friend was in option 1 also, but you did make a promise to your relative.

Edited by rdearman on 17 August 2014 at 1:04pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 14
17 August 2014 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Won't you say which countries these are? :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 4 of 14
17 August 2014 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
I can, but I thought it would be easier to get impartial advice if I did not :-)

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 14
17 August 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Christina, we've known each other through the forum for a few years now. I've guessed two of the countries, and have a good idea of the third. The countries aren't relevant My only advice is to follow your heart, do what you want to do.

As an aside, a long time ago, I read a guide to multiple choice tests. One of the tips for taking them is, when you have no idea of which option to choose, the longest answer is more likely to be the correct one. In this case that would be option 2.

I would love to read all about how much you enjoyed your trip here on the forum, whichever option you choose. Carpe diem!

Edited by iguanamon on 17 August 2014 at 4:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 6 of 14
17 August 2014 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Christina, we've known each other through the forum for a few years now. I've
guessed two of the countries, and have a good idea of the third. The countries aren't relevant My only advice
is to follow your heart, do what you want to do.

A long time ago, I read a guide to multiple choice tests. One of the tips for taking them is, when in doubt, the
longest answer is usually the correct one. In this case that would be option 2.

Would love to read all about how much you enjoyed that one here on the forum! Carpe diem!

Ha,ha, you are good. Against all odds number two is the one I feel most compelled to go to. I just thought if I
made it "anonymous' somebody would talk some sense into me. Which three countries do you think it is?

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 7 of 14
17 August 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Here's what I think- Spain would be the first option. The third option is most likely the US. Option two, on second thought, no idea, perhaps Tibet.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 8 of 14
17 August 2014 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
You got two out of three:-)