Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4880 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 9 of 14
17 August 2014 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
I would pick country number 3 because of the promise and then plan for trip to number 1
someday soon.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 14
17 August 2014 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
The second one suddenly sounds like Kazakhstan to me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 14
18 August 2014 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
The second one suddenly sounds like Kazakhstan to me.

Damn, you are really good :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 14
18 August 2014 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
I would not exclude Kazakhstan (personally I have only visited Uzbekistan in that region, and that was back in the Sovjet period), but it would not help me with my language learning - except maybe for Russian. And for Russian it would be more logical to go to Russia.

I do travel fairly much, and this year two of my voyages have been/will be tied to polyglot events. In both cases I try to embed the actual event in a touristical circuit. Last year I went to Budapest from Venice through Slovenia and Austria. This year I went to Berlin through Lolland-Falster in Denmark and Fehmarn in Germany, and I stayed in Berlin for four days after the event. And my route to Novi Sad will start in Zadar in Croatia and pass through either Zagreb or Banja Luka. Other travels are based on cheap air fares to places in Europe, and these travels will mostly go to places where I can train one of my languages. And once or twice every year I visit overseas locations - like my recent trip to Québec and Nouveau-Brunswick and my trip to Senegal earlier this year. However the languages spoken there are mostly English or French or Spanish or Portuguese, which I see as fairly well-consolidated.

So my advice to Solfrid would of course be to visit all three places - it can't be impossible. But the one I would drop if I couldn't find time for all three would be the easy no. 1 - even though that probably would be the cheapest travel destination among the three. And a promise is a promise is a promise so no. 3 would be obligatory. Which leaves no. 2 in a limbo.

Edited by Iversen on 18 August 2014 at 11:23am

Frostage
Canada
Joined 3289 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 14
19 August 2015 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
And once or twice every year I visit overseas locations - like my recent trip to Québec and Nouveau-Brunswick and my trip to Senegal earlier this year. However the languages spoken there are mostly English or French or Spanish or Portuguese, which I see as fairly well-consolidated.

This is completely off topic but as an anglophone Canadian I find Nouveau-Brunswick funny to see in an English sentence. Not the "New Brunswick" is all that different.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4669 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 14 of 14
19 August 2015 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Is a few days enough to visit Kazakhstan?   I always like to save my adventure trips for
when I have a couple weeks or more - that gives me time to adjust to the newness of it
all.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version