Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5186 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 1 of 4
18 August 2014 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
So I've come up with a system of working with my Irish text which is entirely dialogue-based (Gaeilge gan Stró Lower Intermediate). I've been copying the dialogues and highlighting interesting/useful grammatical structures. I'd like to work on these outside of the context of the dialogues (which are often not covered in the grammar notes or by the exercises). An example would be:

Níor bhuail mé le railtóir aerthráachta riamh cheana!
I've never met an air traffic controller before!

raibh mé féin dífhostaithe riamh.
I've never been unemployed myself.

So what I'm interested in learning (as useful as air traffic controller is) is the "I've never (verb+subject, etc) [before]" structure expressed in the bold portions.

Question is, if I wanted to use Anki to "drill" these, what would be the most effective card setup? Or should I be thinking completely outside of Anki?

Edited by sctroyenne on 18 August 2014 at 7:05am

1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5103 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 2 of 4
18 August 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Anki will show you the card on days 0, 2, 6, 16, 39, 98, 244... (roughly). Is that what you'd like? I would prefer being shown on days 0, 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and stop.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 4
18 August 2014 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
The relevant parts of the structures are the first three words and the riamh-part (one or two words) at the end. So in your place I would see these elements as the equivalent of the single words or word combinations you normally learn through SRS and just quote the whole sentences as illustrations, not as something to be learnt.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5327 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 4
18 August 2014 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
So I've come up with a system of working with my Irish text which is entirely dialogue-based (Gaeilge gan Stró Lower Intermediate). I've been copying the dialogues and highlighting interesting/useful grammatical structures. I'd like to work on these outside of the context of the dialogues (which are often not covered in the grammar notes or by the exercises). An example would be:

Níor bhuail mé le railtóir aerthráachta riamh cheana!
I've never met an air traffic controller before!

Question is, if I wanted to use Anki to "drill" these, what would be the most effective card setup? Or should I be thinking completely outside of Anki?

Khatzumoto has a really interesting setup for doing SRS with European languages. Basically, it has two boxes:

Quote:
Text to cloze: [[
Méfiez-vous de ce charmant lapin,
De ses yeux pétillants,
De ce rose lapi-galopin.
Il aime son poisson,
Ne dit jamais non,
Mais dit oui sans y penser,
Pour se débarasser.
]]

Words, suffixes and prefixes to cloze: [[ -er -ez -e -t de -s y se ce ]]

Here, my cloze pattern focuses on inflections and key grammatical words. This would create nine cards, one for each thing we asked to cloze. The individual cards would look something like:

Quote:
FRONT: Méfiez-vous de ce charmant lapin,
De ses yeux pétillants,
De ce rose lapi-galopin.
Il aime son poisson,
Ne dit jamais non,
Mais dit oui sans y pens#####,
Pour se débarass#####.

BACK: -er

He typically works with long texts, and long lists of things to cloze. This generates an absurd number of cards. Some of these cards will be ambiguous or useless. But as always, Khatzumoto recommends massive deletion of cards.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version