Diglot
Spain
Joined 3679 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 1 of 6
22 August 2014 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
How many times do you listen to each Assimil lesson? Are you able to memorize one lesson
per day? As far as I'm concerned, I think that's impossible. That's at least what I've
experienced with the Russian language!

Edited by FromSpain on 22 August 2014 at 3:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6927 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 2 of 6
22 August 2014 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
I learnt German with Assimil and have Assimil programs for about a dozen languages. I had absolutely no knowledge of German when I began but was able to hold simple conversations with German friends within a couple of weeks. I learnt Spanish with Assimil but used the Assimil method more accurately. That is, I did one lesson per day but played the audio a number of times on my mp3 player through the day.

At no time did I memorise the lesson. The idea was that I played and read the lesson until I could understand what I was reading and hearing. That was all I had to do. No memorisation. I never spent more than around ten minutes at a time doing a new lesson but I did play old lessons through as I walked or shopped. This is the first, passive wave. After around fifty lessons you go back to lesson one and do the second, active wave, keeping fifty lessons behind as you go. With the active wave you translate from English, or your language, to the language you are learning.

One of my books has been published in Spanish and I was able to read the translation without difficulty.

I see you are learning Russian. I think the new Assimil Russian course is easier than the older courses. Just work your way through the course using the method I describe and you won't have to worry about what you remember. Don't worry too much about the grammar. Russian grammar is difficult. When you get to the second wave you can concentrate more on the grammar.

If you try to use the course the traditional way you are likely not to succeed; you are more likely to give up.

I wish you success with your studies.
9 persons have voted this message useful

FromSpain
Diglot
Spain
Joined 3679 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 3 of 6
22 August 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Your answer has been very helpful. You have given me motivation. Thank you very much!

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3833 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 6
22 August 2014 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Hello FromSpain,

First, EnglishEagle asked a very similar question recently. When have I finished an Assimil lesson? which you can find in the section "Language Programs, Books & Tapes". I found EMK's ADVICE particularly instructive.

Second, if you are just beginning your study of Russian, it is possible that Assimil is simply not the right method for you AT THIS TIME. Before everyone jumps all over me for this comment, please allow me to say that, generally speaking, I am a strong supporter of the Assimil teaching method. However, for some people, Assimil Russian is difficult simply because, for them, Russian is very difficult to learn. Thus, a slower paced, very BASIC approach might help you "prepare yourself" for the rigours of Assimil. To this end, I suggest that you consider the following course, that was recently developed by the UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles):

The Book:
Beginner's Russian With Interactive Online Workbook

The UCLA website (select "Student's Corner")
UCLA Beginner's Russian website

5 persons have voted this message useful

FromSpain
Diglot
Spain
Joined 3679 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes

Message 5 of 6
23 August 2014 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
That's pretty useful. Thank you very much!

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3526 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 6 of 6
27 August 2014 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
I listen to entire lesson about 1-2 times reading at the same time, then read 1-2 times looking to the translation,
then I read 1-2 times without looking to translation, then read notes, then listen 1-2 times without the book, then I
make exercises.

I usually do from 1 to 2 lessons a day and when I want I can make a fast review about 7-10 previous lessons in the
book. When I reread previous lessons I usually understand everything, maybe look up 1 word per lesson so it seems
that it works well. Also I have all lessons in my phone so I also listen from time to time about 7-10 previous lessons
while driving or walking.

Edited by Enrico on 27 August 2014 at 9:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version