United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 9 of 18
26 August 2014 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Arabic takes so much work in the beginning stages that I don't think it's much of an
issue if Mastering Arabic simplifies things, and isn't really about mastering
the language (which, to me, is standard hyperbole that too many language learning
courses engage in). You'll have plenty of time later to learn the complexities of the
language.

I'm interested in hearing how it works for you. I'm currently using Michel Thomas, also
with Jane Wightwick and Mahmoud Gaafar, and really like their approach.

My main concern with their Mastering Arabic are the reviews that say that there are no
transcripts for the dialogues on the CD's, and that there isn't an Arabic-English
appendix.

Edited by kanewai on 26 August 2014 at 9:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4814 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 18
29 August 2014 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Arabic takes so much work in the beginning stages that I don't think it's much of an issue if Mastering Arabic simplifies things, and isn't really about mastering
the language (which, to me, is standard hyperbole that too many language learning
courses engage in). You'll have plenty of time later to learn the complexities of the
language.

You are right, of course. Arabic is a difficult language to learn and anything that makes it a tad easier is a godsend.

I believe Einstein said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

The problem with Wightwick is she makes things too simple.
She doesn't teach basic declension, for example. Arabic cases, at least the nominative and the genitive don't take long to understand. Believe me, knowing them makes life so much easier, that it doesn't make sense not to know them.
She does not use diacritics throughout the book, despite them being indispensable for the beginner. Don't believe anyone who says otherwise.
They are like training-wheels. Eventually, you've got to dispose of them but if you take them off too early, you'll fall. Hard.

She leaves so many things unsaid that students run the risk of making wrong assumptions about grammar and pronunciation. Errors, that once assimilated become impossible to correct later.

kanewai wrote:

I'm interested in hearing how it works for you. I'm currently using Michel Thomas, also
with Jane Wightwick and Mahmoud Gaafar, and really like their approach.

Abdur Rahim's Madina series, (the one I'm using), has its own share of shortcomings.
Wightwick and Gaafar aren't all bad. In fact, I loved their script book and despite my reservations, I feel compelled to agree it's Wightwick to whom we'll have to turn to until we find something better.
At the same time, we must acknowledge that their book is an introductory work best studied alongside a traditional grammar tome like the one by Haywood.

Edited by napoleon on 30 August 2014 at 1:17am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 11 of 18
29 August 2014 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:

At the same time, we must acknowledge that their book is an introductory work best studied alongside a traditional grammar tome like the one by Haywood.

I'm assuming that I'll have to work through multiple beginning-level text books, and I've been debating between moving on to either Wightwick & Gaafar or Living Language (I really liked their intro courses for Italian and Japanese), but Abdur Rahim's Madinah series is tempting.

I see that Abdur Rahim distributes the books for free, and that a professor has posted his classes online. I think there are almost 200 hours of video. That's an amazing resource.

Madinah Arabic Series on Google Drive

Madinah Series Arabic Lessons on YouTube.

@ Napoleon: I like the fact that they incorporate poetry, hadith, and Quran passages. But I worry that it's more "classical" than "modern spoken." It also looks intense - like it's designed for full time college-level study rather than for amateur students working in their spare time. I wonder if it might be better to do a run through of an 'easier' course than jumping into this. Do you have any input?

@ ericblair - based on skimming the books you will definitely want to have a good command of the alphabet first. But bookmark this for later!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6459 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 12 of 18
04 September 2014 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Another beginning course that focuses on communicative Arabic is the Formal Spoken Arabic: Fast Course. (Make sure it is the Fast Course because the Basic is more advanced). It has a lot of useful dialogs with recordings among other things like grammar explanations, word banks, a glossary, and English transliteration with the Arabic script. The only thing to be aware of is that some of the word endings and verb conjugations are a little different than Standard Arabic because of the Levantine influence.

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4814 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 13 of 18
04 September 2014 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Sorry for taking so long but I wanted to write a detailed response. :)

kanewai wrote:

I'm assuming that I'll have to work through multiple beginning-level text books, and I've been debating between moving on to either Wightwick & Gaafar or Living Language (I really liked their intro courses for Italian and Japanese), but Abdur Rahim's Madinah series is tempting.

Definitely. Do as many books as you like. :)

kanewai wrote:

I see that Abdur Rahim distributes the books for free, and that a professor has posted his classes online. I think there are almost 200 hours of video. That's an amazing resource.

Madinah Arabic Series on Google Drive

Madinah Series Arabic Lessons on YouTube.

In fact, it was Mr. Asif Mehrali's videos that lead me to these books in the first place. I don't think I could have made any progress without them.

kanewai wrote:

@ Napoleon: I like the fact that they incorporate poetry, hadith, and Quran passages. But I worry that it's more "classical" than "modern spoken."

I have completed only half of the first book, in the course of which I came across half a dozen religious references. These include the Muslim honorific for Muhammad and a few other sentences glorifying God. I am yet to encounter any poetry, hadith or Quranic passages, although, Mr. Mehrali does pull out a sentence from the Quran from time to time to reinforce some grammar point.
Having said that, most of the book contains dialogues and short passages.
In fact there is a separate three DVD "conversation" course for people who have finished the first three books.

kanewai wrote:

It also looks intense - like it's designed for full time college-level study rather than for amateur students working in their spare time.

You're right. These books are part of the curriculum at the Islamic University of Madinah. Dr. A. Rahim, the author, says his books are designed to teach Arabic to non-native students. They are graded and very dialogue-heavy, as you've seen in the pages I posted.
I don't see any reason why we cannot study them at our own pace.

kanewai wrote:

I wonder if it might be better to do a run through of an 'easier' course than jumping into this. Do you have any input?

The first time I saw Mr. Mehrali's videos, I didn't have the books and I couldn't read Arabic very well. I was halfway through the second lecture when I gave up.
The next time, I had the books all right, but I was not using them. Neither was I doing the exercises and my enthusiasm fizzled out by the time I started the third lesson.
By trial and error, I finally arrived at an optimum method:
1) I read the key
2) I watched the video
3) I did the exercises
4) (Optional) If I had a question, I'd ask it in the forum

You could try an easier course if you wanted to.
Why don't you watch the first lecture on youtube and tell us what you think?

EDIT:
I must apologise for quoting myself again, but I thought it might interest you:

napoleon wrote:

I discovered something interesting today, but not entirely surprising. Not everyone finishes the Madinah book.

On a whim, I went to lqtoronto's youtube channel and recorded the number of times each video from Book 1 had been viewed.

The first video has been viewed 23,942 times. The second has 8,396 hits.
Then, the chart falls off a cliff. The last one has only been watched 810 times.
Of the 25,000 who started out, only 800 make it to the end.

The bad news first:
I have a 3% (approx.) probability of finishing the book.

Now, the good news:
The graph becomes steady around the 20th video (DVD 4). People who have finished DVD 4 are more likely to finish the series.
So, if I make it to video 20, I'll probably make it through Book 1.

I am on DVD 3 now. I still have an entire DVD to cover before I can relax. :)

Edited by napoleon on 08 September 2014 at 7:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5118 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 14 of 18
05 September 2014 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
For completeness' sake, here's another DLI book that beginners might find useful, because it doesn't require any Arabic reading skills. (Arabic text has been transliterated in a mixture of ALA-LC and IPA characters).

A Contrastive Study of English and Arabic

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 15 of 18
05 September 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Napolean: Why don't you watch the first lecture (of Madinah) on youtube and
tell us what you think?

I worked through the first three lessons. It looks excellent, though it's definitely a
working course, not a 'fun' course. The intro says it's taught Ramadan to Ramadan
(so, 11 months), and it appears to require about ten hours / week commitment to finish
in that time.

My thoughts:
- This is for people who want to learn Arabic properly. It's very methodical. Book 1
focuses on nouns. Book 2 on verbs. Book 3 gets complicated, and they advise that you
use a dictionary with it.

- It is also for people who have had some exposure to Arabic. Someone who is a total
beginner will struggle.

- The goal is definitely to read the Quran by the end of the course. The author
estimates that you will understand 80% of it. The handouts have a lot of Quranic
passages, though you're right, I don't see any in the actual text.

I still don't know if it's the course for me, but part of that is I don't honestly
know what my own goals are for Arabic.   

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4814 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 16 of 18
08 September 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

- This is for people who want to learn Arabic properly. It's very methodical. Book 1
focuses on nouns. Book 2 on verbs. Book 3 gets complicated, and they advise that you
use a dictionary with it.

Indeed.

kanewai wrote:

- It is also for people who have had some exposure to Arabic. Someone who is a total
beginner will struggle.

You're right on the mark.
I remember the first time I saw the lectures. This was when I didn't yet have the books and I couldn't read very well either. To say I struggled would be an understatement. :)

kanewai wrote:

- The goal is definitely to read the Quran by the end of the course. The author
estimates that you will understand 80% of it. The handouts have a lot of Quranic
passages, though you're right, I don't see any in the actual text.

The religious angle is certainly a bit of a turn off. That's why I'm still stuck at lesson 10! :)
From what I've seen in their forum, people who finish all three books still aren't comfortable speaking Arabic.
But I imagine these books are very good for getting a strong foundation in grammar.

kanewai wrote:

I still don't know if it's the course for me, but part of that is I don't honestly
know what my own goals are for Arabic.   

Fair enough.
I'll tell you what my goals are and what I expect to get out of this course though.
I'm not really looking to read the Koran in the original at the moment. I mean if I can understand the Koran after this, great. I know that's what this course is for but my goal is a bit different.
If you remember our experience with the FSI Modern Written Arabic Course, the lessons turn progressively difficult while teaching very little grammar. I think I went as far as lesson 12 before dropping out, but I'm not sure.
I want to use the Madinah books as a stepping stone to FSI MWA, following which I can attempt newspapers and TV.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version